New
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New

Hello I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a few questions.
Bought a Ruger SR9C yesterday for home protection / concealment. This was my first handgun purchase, chose the Ruger after renting a few at the range and was the most comfortable with the SR9C. Wanted some different opinions on how owners store their guns in the home. I have no children, just my wife and myself.

I have two clips, I've talked to a few people about keeping clips loaded and the spring compression, one USMC I know swaped out clips every month, keeping one loaded and the other empty to save the springs.

How many keep one loaded in the house, chambered, unchambered, no clip?

Thanks for the advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

If a spring is properly designed for the application there is no loss of tension from simply being compressed. Repeated cycling will cause springs to fatigue and lose tension. Leaving a magazine loaded should not be a problem, as long as the spring is not stressed close to its limit. Some magazine manufactures attempt to get more rounds in the magazine by allowing the spring to almost fully compress. 1911 mags are designed to be loaded all the time.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

1st of all they are magazines not clips. I dont know where you live so I dont know which magazines came with your pistol. The SR9c comes with either 2 10 round mags or 1-10 round and 1-17 round mag. For home use I keep 2-17 round mags loaded with 15 rounds. 1 in the pistol plus a round chambered. Just load 16 and chamber a round. When I carry, I load 10 rounds in the 10 round mag and an additional round in the chamber. I will carry an additional 10 or 17 round mag. With 10+1 the pistol will weigh about 28 oz. You can find extra magazines at CDNN or direct from Ruger. You will need spacers for any 17 round mags you purchase. Be careful loading the 17 round mags as they will pinch if your hand is in the way. Do not use the slide lock to release the slide. Pull the slide back and release it. It needs to go forward hard to properly chamber a round. A light grip sometimes called limp wristing can cause a malfunction. Holding the pistol sideways as seen in the movies will eject the spent casing into your face. Do not place your off hand thumb behind the slide on a 2 hand grip. The slide will cut you when it comes back.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

It came with a 10 and a 17 round magazine, with a spacer for the 17. Thanks for the info. As for holding a gun sideways, I'm new, but I'm not stupid.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a 1911 and a G31 and they stay cocked and locked 24/7. You will not ruin your magazines by keeping them loaded.... And welcome to FTF

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know the whole situation that can happen so I would have some place to keep it if kids come around other than that keep it loaded train the wife in fire arm safety cause an empty gun is just a paper weight. As fare as keeping mags loaded keep them loaded and ready take out your ccw loads and use ball ammo for practice and reload your ccw rounds back in for carry and home protection. I recommend practice once a month and maybe get a 22. Ruger has a SR22 and they are like your SR9C little cheaper to shoot and you can concentrate on shooting skills and fundamentals and be a better shot with your center fire pistol. Sorry so long winded CB ccw instructor

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #7

New springs are cheap and easy to install. For my SD gun I keep both mags loaded -- when the time comes I'll buy new springs.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

What everyone said about keeping loaded mags is right, it's the actual use, compression/decompression that causes wear. If you're still worried about it, load it one short and call it a day.

For HD, I keep mine where I might be most vulnerable, in the bedroom, never more than 2 feet away from me if I'm in bed. I ALWAYS keep a round chambered. Gotta figure at 3am, you're doing well to make it to the bathroom in one piece being groggy from sleep. Now imagine trying to load a mag, rack the slide and get into a defensive position in that state...not an easy task.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Welcome to FTF PositronDave,

Keeping the mags fully loaded is no problem at all, the cycling of the spring between a free state and compression and back is where the wear comes from. As for where to keep your gun stored, I carry mine until I take a shower and get ready for bed, then it goes in a holster I have mounted to the night stand after a quick wipe down. If you don't have to worry about small children getting access to your gun, keep it close to you or on you at all times, running into another room to get your gun will not work for home defense.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you get some training (using the word "clip" for "magazine" is the biggest clue to how familiar you are not with firearms).

Get a pro and not a "friend of a friend". It'll be worth the money you lay out.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)