Never point... unless you intend to shoot it. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Never point... unless you intend to shoot it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

In that situation, the hand has already been added to the equation and has engaged the trigger, so once the hand has been added, the direction of danger should be kept clear until the firing cycle of that cartridge has been completed. IOW, once your finger pulls the trigger keep it pointed where you want a hole until there is a hole or a resolution of the misfire.

This happened the very first time I let my nephew fire my BP revolver, bad cap. He looked at me like WTH and kept it pointed at the target until I relieved him of it to re-cap that chamber. I kept it pointed in a safe direction until I was sure it was a bad cap and not a slow ignition.

I think this "don't point it" rule is more for self defense situations. The redneckified version is "don't pull a weapon unless you are ready (able & willing) to use it, 'cause the other dude may be ready to use it [spit]".
Ah, great observation orange! Indeed correct in theory.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

Tell em...they wanna handle your pistol they have to buy you dinner first.
You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time!?!?!!! Dradt!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #43

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

All guns are always loaded all the time.
This another good one. I was forced into making this a habit when I was in the army. Its a good one though.
When you get handed a gun you always check it to make sure there is not one in the pipe. If you hand it to another person and then they check it and give it directly back tpo you, you always check it to be sure there is not one in the chamber.
I can tell you of a couple of times that I thought the weapon was empty and if I did not have the weapon pointed down range someone would be in jail and another would be dead. This had happened when I was in my teens. LONG TIME AGO.
Never the less if you think your are dry firing a weapon be sure that you check to be sure its pointed at a target you want to kill or destroy and that the gun is empty. Its a good rule of thumb. It does not matter if you think its a lame saying, Its not the law and we do not want it to be a law, so just shut up and do it. If you are holsterin gthe weapon and you have your finger on the trigger you may lose a foot or make a big hole mid way down you leg. If your finger is on the trigger the muzzle better be pointed at the object you wish to kill or destroy.

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #44

Liked 252 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Two separate rules are being mixed in this thread : Coopers Rule #2 ( Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy ) and the folklore gunfighting admonition, " Don't draw your gun except to shoot " , which is totally wrong : You draw when you must be prepared to shoot .

Gabe Suarez took issue with Rule #2 because there are times, such as holstering, when your muzzle may cover you . Splitting hairs .

Note : Jeff Cooper himself dry practiced at his T.V. set because he was " willing to destroy it ".

Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Note : Jeff Cooper himself dry practiced at his T.V. set because he was " willing to destroy it ".
The cost of TVs these days, I'd rather shoot the neighbors children! Lol

Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #46

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Excellent article on 'the rules' on Grant Cunningham's site www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/safety_rules.html
He has a rather different perspective on the four safety rules also.

Mike