Never point... unless you intend to shoot it. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Never point... unless you intend to shoot it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

YES!! Precisely! So why are you worrying over having it in your holster?

You're flipping back and forth here man. Like my granddad used to say, "talking to hear your head rattle".
You must've missed some things along the way trip. Won't hold it against Ya

Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #32

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

You must've missed some things along the way trip. Won't hold it against Ya
I don't think I missed much of anything. I think you're over thinking this. Don't be waving your gun around in an unsafe manner, or pointing it at people, animals, or things as if with the intent to fire, unless you're really prepared to have to take that action. It's pretty simple, and it's much easier, and gets the same point across (unless one over analyzes the living hell out of it), to say, "never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to destroy", than the way I just worded it up there ^^^

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #33

Maybe just change the wording for yourself to, "don't muzzle sweep anything".

That covers the bases, doesn't it?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #34

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

I don't think I missed much of anything. I think you're over thinking this. Don't be waving your gun around in an unsafe manner, or pointing it at people, animals, or things as if with the intent to fire, unless you're really prepared to have to take that action. It's pretty simple, and it's much easier, and gets the same point across (unless one over analyzes the living hell out of it), to say, "never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to destroy", than the way I just worded it up there ^^^
I still don't like it Trip, can't get past the lack of specificity. I think I'll stick with finger off the trigger unless prepared to fire. Seems to get same point across with less room for interpretation or misunderstanding.

Yes, I'm that person, who likes to discuss such things. Not because I like to hear myself talk or think, but because I like to intellectualize things, finding a way to make more efficient these common phrases, quotes, laws and the like.

It was just a thought, worthwhile one to me, if not to you then so be it. This has helped me to determine how I will address training my friend, girls, family when I take them shooting.

There is a hiccup in my theory I just thought of. When a gun jams, finger on or off trigger may not matter, thus down range must be the only way. So what rules should I go with? What order? Perhaps that's the way I should've started this thread.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Precisely!

And that's a great story for the grandchildren! ;P
It was a .32; a chair stopped the bullet, a cheap wooden chair. Had it been a 9mm or a .38special, I might have a limp, and she might too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
...There is a hiccup in my theory I just thought of. When a gun jams, finger on or off trigger may not matter, thus down range must be the only way. So what rules should I go with? What order? Perhaps that's the way I should've started this thread.
In that situation, the hand has already been added to the equation and has engaged the trigger, so once the hand has been added, the direction of danger should be kept clear until the firing cycle of that cartridge has been completed. IOW, once your finger pulls the trigger keep it pointed where you want a hole until there is a hole or a resolution of the misfire.

This happened the very first time I let my nephew fire my BP revolver, bad cap. He looked at me like WTH and kept it pointed at the target until I relieved him of it to re-cap that chamber. I kept it pointed in a safe direction until I was sure it was a bad cap and not a slow ignition.

I think this "don't point it" rule is more for self defense situations. The redneckified version is "don't pull a weapon unless you are ready (able & willing) to use it, 'cause the other dude may be ready to use it [spit]".

Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #37

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Dad always said to never point your weapon at something you didn't intend to put a hole in. And that your weapon was like your Johnson. You never pull it out unless you have full intention of using it.

Made sense then...Makes sense now...

One of the easiest ways to end up with that cold dead feeling is to pull a gun and use it as a threat on someone that has no use for a threat.

The "Excuse me while I whip this thing out" idea works great for TV and movies. Not so good in the real world.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #38

Here's an idea...
How long have the basic firearms safety rules been recognized? They aren't the constitution. Write your own set, and run them by us!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
And that your weapon was like your Johnson....
I don't let my friends play with my Johnson.

I have let friends use my firearms at the range.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #40

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't let my friends play with my Johnson.

I have let friends use my firearms at the range.
Tell em...they wanna handle your pistol they have to buy you dinner first.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

orangello Likes This