Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Never point... unless you intend to shoot it. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/never-point-unless-you-intend-shoot-86894/)

BeyondTheBox 03-19-2013 02:22 AM

Never point... unless you intend to shoot it.

Anyone else have a problem with this supposed guideline?

I mean really, how could you carry a gun without it inevitably pointing at you, your leg or foot. You willing to shoot yourself then.

What about when in transit, or sitting in safe, or on the shelf at the market. Have we not gone way overboard with the paranoia?

I can't believe I still see and hear this used. It's incompetent and irrational, no?

Any others you can think of? What about always handle gun as if it's loaded...? Seems sound enough but maybe I'm missing something.

ScottA 03-19-2013 02:34 AM

It kind of sounds like "A sword once drawn must draw blood".

I sometimes wonder what folks who are not familiar with the culture think when they hear some of the "rules".

nitestalker 03-19-2013 02:37 AM

I think the warning is never point a weapon at any thing you don't intend to shoot. That could be a target of any kind. The point being don't be randomly pointing firearms at any thing without thinking.
The pointing with intent means you are making a conscious decision about a predetermined target.:)

trip286 03-19-2013 02:45 AM

BTB, you're seriously over thinking this and taking it way out of context. The context is, "in your hand, as if with the intention or ability to fire". Not, in your holster, so you'd better be willing to perforate your chair.

Pretty much how nitestalker just put it.

Come on man. You have more sense than that.

lbwar15 03-19-2013 02:50 AM

My wife keeps my glock on her night stand. Her friend came over and asked if we sleep with it there. My wife said yea. Her friend said you are not worried about getting shot? I gust looked at her and said your stupid. She has been around guns and her dad loves guns. She just has a huge lack of knowing. We have tried to teach her. But I thank she eats paint chips. I had my AR out the other day and she asked ware you poor the powder at now. And yes she has seen it fired.

Rick1967 03-19-2013 02:58 AM

I don't worry about a gun sitting on a night stand or stuff like that. But I do think about shoulder holsters. You know the kind that point the gun directly behind you. I would not want to be standing behind someone that had to draw in a panic. Too many people do not use proper trigger finger control. It seems a lot of people have their finger on the trigger before it even clears the holster.

BWilder 03-19-2013 03:00 AM

i think youre over think it to much.

bowhunter17 03-19-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15
My wife keeps my glock on her night stand. Her friend came over and asked if we sleep with it there. My wife said yea. Her friend said you are not worried about getting shot? I gust looked at her and said your stupid. She has been around guns and her dad loves guns. She just has a huge lack of knowing. We have tried to teach her. But I thank she eats paint chips. I had my AR out the other day and she asked ware you poor the powder at now. And yes she has seen it fired.

If you take her stupidity and multiply it by 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000 you get the level of gun knowledge and common sense that the average politician has.

txpossum 03-19-2013 03:04 AM

Seems like a simple, easily understood safety rule to me. Common usage and it's everyday meaning would not lend itself to your interpretation of it, IMO. I was taught that from the time I was six years old, and had no problem understanding it's meaning.

nitestalker 03-19-2013 05:21 AM

Why would you tell a non-family member where you keep your firearms? The placement of a firearm for protection is a very private matter. What if your neighbor tells her nephew who is a Cat burglar. :confused: