Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > The needs of agencies are more alike than different.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Default The needs of agencies are more alike than different.

There are lots of different kinds of handguns, lots of different calibers, and lots of police agencies.

But it seems to me that the needs of many of the agencies are much more alike than different. I understand why Air Marshalls have a different need than others, but why would the Secret Service require a different handgun than the FBI or the Marshal Service? Are counterfeiters that different physiologically than other criminals? Why would detectives in one city require a different caliber then detectives in another?

After all these years you’d think this puzzle would have been solved. Is it a matter of which manufacturer of guns and/or ammunition gives whatever agency/city the best deal? Do the agencies provide a selection handguns available for its agents to choose from.

What’s the deal?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #2

Well some agency's have "stadard caliber(s)". For example, if i wanted to be a FBI special agent i could pic between a 9mm, .40, .45 ext. As long as i qualify on the range with my service weapon in one of those calibers. Its realy a matter of personal preference. Although some agency's might have only one choice.

P.S. 9mm, .40, .45 are the only ones a Government agency gets free for training and range time.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

It boils down to various agency usually being a decade or more behind reality. Lots of them pick guns based off political ideology or knee jerk reaction to events.

Last thing i would ever do is choose a gun based solely off what a government agency does. Government beurocrats are the least capable people of picking sd firearms.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Most department purchases (Fed and local) are run by the accounting area or firearms training officer bias (if his strings are better than accounting.)

Look at end users also. Different body shapes, sizes, and mind set all come into play.

The 40S&W came about because the 10mm was too "hard" for some FBI agents to handle.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT