need suggestions on composite frame dbl action or auto
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > need suggestions on composite frame dbl action or auto

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default need suggestions on composite frame dbl action or auto

i am new (refered by jeep forum) but i need suggestions on a composite frame dbl action or autoloader that can be handloaded to be close to 44mag ballistics. i know sw makes one in 44 but i dont want to spend $1000. i think a 45 colt can get close but i can ony find 45 acp! i spend alot of time in the rocky mountains and everyone carries due to bears, mountain lions, wolves etc..... weight is the issue due to hiking. does anyone have a suggestion? thanks, ron:confused

[IMG]http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af263/ronsaun/dog%20part%202/image032.jpg[/IMG

__________________

Last edited by ronsaun; 04-19-2010 at 06:30 AM.
ronsaun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

It has to be an auto loader?

__________________
DrumJunkie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Desert Eagle .44mag.

Pic does not show.

Please stop by the introductions forum.

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

S&W makes Scandium frame revolvers in .44 Magnum but I know of no "composite" (poly/plastic) autos or revolvers built for this cartridge. There's a reason (besides strength) that most .44 Magnums are large chunks of steel - you need the weight to make them reasonably comfortable to shoot...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
It has to be an auto loader?
no it doesnt have to be an autoloader
__________________
ronsaun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Desert Eagle .44mag.

Pic does not show.

Please stop by the introductions forum.
is this liteweight and well under $1000
__________________
ronsaun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
S&W makes Scandium frame revolvers in .44 Magnum but I know of no "composite" (poly/plastic) autos or revolvers built for this cartridge. There's a reason (besides strength) that most .44 Magnums are large chunks of steel - you need the weight to make them reasonably comfortable to shoot...
it doesnt have to be composite just as lite as possible. i only intend on firing it for personal protection at close range. i doubt i will run a box of shells thru it in its life. comfortable to shoot is not a concern. i am familiar w/skandia. i like it, i am "trying" not to spend $1070.00. maybe we should be talking about "what is the largest caliber available in liteweight" and can i handload some caliber to be close to 44 ballistics?
__________________
ronsaun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
it doesnt have to be composite just as lite as possible. i only intend on firing it for personal protection at close range. i doubt i will run a box of shells thru it in its life. comfortable to shoot is not a concern. i am familiar w/skandia. i like it, i am "trying" not to spend $1070.00. maybe we should be talking about "what is the largest caliber available in liteweight" and can i handload some caliber to be close to 44 ballistics?
The S&W scandium's are the only lightweight big bores that I'm aware of. Loading to ".44 Magnum ballistics" for other than a gun chambered in .44 Magnum sounds VERY dangerous to me...
__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Agent_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: portland
Posts: 265
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Default



Nice Jeep
__________________

Last edited by Agent_H; 04-19-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Compliment on vehicle...
Agent_H is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The most inexpensive semi-auto or bolt action .22? Doctor Watson .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 2 12-18-2009 04:53 AM
.22 Semi-Auto over Bolt Action? Wheelspin .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 21 12-17-2009 05:13 PM
Composite frames Deerstalker General Handgun Discussion 12 11-09-2009 01:55 AM
just got a j frame...need holster suggestions roosterjuicer Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 3 10-18-2009 06:09 PM