Need some help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Need some help

A couple weeks ago I saw a gun rag at a store and it had a pistol with a red dot scope attached. It was pretty low profile, and it still had use of the rear and front sight incase the red dot got damaged. I know some of you, especially Cane, advocate point shooting. Ive never tried, and dont know how, but Im interested. Does anyone know which magazine and what the vol. issue is. If its concealable how do you feel about it. Everyone says the the butt of the grip is the hardest to conceal, thats why there is the CBOB. But how much harder is a micro red dot to conceal. Plus you get to keep both eyes open and look at your target instead of putting to much emphasis on the front sight tip. In Iraq I had the ACOG, really good sight, but I didnt do CQB, I was in the villages. A SOC Ranger that I worked with could not talk highly enough of his aim points and other red dots while going house to house in Afgan and Iraq.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
A couple weeks ago I saw a gun rag at a store and it had a pistol with a red dot scope attached. It was pretty low profile, and it still had use of the rear and front sight incase the red dot got damaged. I know some of you, especially Cane, advocate point shooting. Ive never tried, and dont know how, but Im interested. Does anyone know which magazine and what the vol. issue is. If its concealable how do you feel about it. Everyone says the the butt of the grip is the hardest to conceal, thats why there is the CBOB. But how much harder is a micro red dot to conceal. Plus you get to keep both eyes open and look at your target instead of putting to much emphasis on the front sight tip. In Iraq I had the ACOG, really good sight, but I didnt do CQB, I was in the villages. A SOC Ranger that I worked with could not talk highly enough of his aim points and other red dots while going house to house in Afgan and Iraq.
The problem would be finding a holster if you intend to try and carry it. I shot a Ruger Mk III with a red dot and it didn't work well at all for me. I shoot much better with plain old sights...

Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

It may indeed help you in improving target sight accuracy, your speed may suffer a little. But as stated by Dave, your greatest challenge is going to be able to find a suitable holster for conceal carrying purposes, if that is indeed what you are intending to do.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
advocate point shooting. Ive never tried, and dont know how, but Im interested.
sure you do. unless you have never thrown a football or a basket ball or a baseball or frisbee or never launched some projectile out of your hand at a target, you have done point shooting. dont let any of those fake guru's in the gun magazines fool you; just because you arent using the weapon sights doesnt mean you are not using some sort of point of reference subconciously to land the rounds on target. by the strict definition of the so called gurus point shooting is like luke skywalker closing his eyes and hitting the target everytime with proton torpedos...

point shooting is a mysticism dreamed up by self important gun writers to make something people have done since the begining of human time to land arrows into animals for food seem like a magic act that can opnly be learned from buying their books or DVDs. its just practice over and over until you "know" where the rounds are going to land by instinct. its honing a skill to the point it takes no effort of concious thought to do a task.

go look up some youtube vids about a guy named byron ferguson. he is a longbow guy that does exhibition shooting with a bow and arrow no sights and can nail moving targets with a un-sighted bow the size of aspirins as if they were skeet. point shooting as it is referred to is the same thing just using guns.

basically point shooting is a skill that is learned the same way a person learns to throw a baseball and hit the catchers mitt.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
basically point shooting is a skill that is learned the same way a person learns to throw a baseball and hit the catchers mitt.

From Cooper’s book, Fighting Handguns published in 1958.
Let’s hear about point shooting in Cooper's own words....
....."It's an axiom that hitting your target is your main concern, and the best way to hit is to use your sights, but circumstances do arise in which the need for speed is so great, and the range so short, that you must hit by pointing alone, without seeing your gun at all.
...Pointer fire is not as hard to learn as sighting, once you realize it's range limitations. using the 1911 auto-pistol I have found that I can teach the average infantryman to stay on a silhouette at 10 yards--using pointer fire in two-shot bursts--more easily that I can get him into that 25 yard bullseye using slow fire and sights.
Of course this sort of shooting is strictly a way of obtaining body hits at essentially indoor ranges (30 feet and under)…
...But up close pointer fire can be murderously effective, and its mastery is often the difference between life and death." (pg 97-98)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I gotta get out to the country so I can practice some of this stuff. No range in my neck of suburbia even allows drawing.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #7

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Mine neither. But my living room allows drawing and snap cap shooting.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Mine neither. But my living room allows drawing and snap cap shooting.
Well, yeah, but I can't really tell if I'm on target.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Well, yeah, but I can't really tell if I'm on target.
There is a company out of Israel that can fix that for you.

Rovatec's Bullite System

Just a thought....

JD

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So, anyone know the article or magazine im refering to? Ive been to every grocery store/ retail store with a magizine rack within 20 miles, I cant find it anymore. Shoulda bought when I had he chance.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945