Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #11
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1674 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

You said your mom was traumatized by a hostage situation. Were your mom and dad married at that time? Your mom may not be the only victim. Your dad may also have some issues about that situation. He might be concerned about your mom's reaction. At first it was extremely negative, but now she's ok with it. Maybe your dad still worries about whether she's really ok with it. There's a lot of possible reasons behind your dad's reluctance.

Even in the US, there are age restrictions on gun ownership. Make sure you aren't pushing dad into something he isn't legally allowed to do.

Also, +1 on AsSeenOnTV comment above. Actions speak louder than words. Consistent mature behavior such as he was suggesting will go a long way to persuading dad about your level of responsibility.

Hang in there. It's not forever!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
You said your mom was traumatized by a hostage situation. Were your mom and dad married at that time? Your mom may not be the only victim. Your dad may also have some issues about that situation. He might be concerned about your mom's reaction. At first it was extremely negative, but now she's ok with it. Maybe your dad still worries about whether she's really ok with it. There's a lot of possible reasons behind your dad's reluctance.

Even in the US, there are age restrictions on gun ownership. Make sure you aren't pushing dad into something he isn't legally allowed to do.

Also, +1 on AsSeenOnTV comment above. Actions speak louder than words. Consistent mature behavior such as he was suggesting will go a long way to persuading dad about your level of responsibility.

Hang in there. It's not forever!
My parents were married at the time (not any more) but my dads only worries were about here. He got mugged twice the same month (Brazil for you) and was totally cool. He is actually a really chill guy (when it is appropriate of course)

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #13

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I believe only in Somalia, and the middle east, etc it is common for children to 'play' with guns.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV
And it wouldn't hurt to man up and start taking on more responsibilities without being asked, like mowing the lawn, or sugar cane or whatever it is you guys have for property down there. lol
Take out the trash before it gets overflowing, clean your room. volunteer to do the dishes. Stop fighting with your brothers and sisters if any. Help mom out around the house and not talk back to her, etc
Maybe when your father sees you are growing up and being responsible it will be easier for him to think you are ready for a real gun.
We live in an apartment, so there is not much I can do, since the maid takes out the trash, and there is no lawn, but I guess I could do the dinner dishes once in a while, and my parents are divorced, so im with my mom only on weekends.
I think he knows im responsible you know, cause this last bimester ive had a little fallback in school, and we had various talks about responsability. In all of them I did the best I could to demonstrate my total dedication, I study every weekend, sometimes with him, maybe its just a matter of time, and the way I approach the situation.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I want to thank every one of you guys that read my giant post and took the time to help me. I really appreciate your help and support of me, ny situation and, instead of saying that Im to young, imature and unready, actually helped me. My sincere thanks to you guys, you rock.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19871 Times on 11287 Posts
Likes Given: 50100

hang in there Peter and take it in small steps. actions speak louder than words, so show your parents you are responsible by acting responsible. sounds like you are going in the right direction. good luck.

GrizzlyGurl Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #17

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLuger View Post
I want to thank every one of you guys that read my giant post and took the time to help me. I really appreciate your help and support of me, ny situation and, instead of saying that Im to young, imature and unready, actually helped me. My sincere thanks to you guys, you rock.
Other than not old enuff to tell the differences in ones gender, it sounds like you are on your way to being a fine young man.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
And it wouldn't hurt to man up and start taking on more responsibilities without being asked, like mowing the lawn, or sugar cane or whatever it is you guys have for property down there. lol
Take out the trash before it gets overflowing, clean your room. volunteer to do the dishes. Stop fighting with your brothers and sisters if any. Help mom out around the house and not talk back to her, etc
Maybe when your father sees you are growing up and being responsible it will be easier for him to think you are ready for a real gun.
Yes, it would be a good idea to do more around the house with responsibility, but pay attention to how you are doing it, because I personally don't think you want him realizing you are doing things around the house to get "something". This is more to be an adjustment of behavior that is appropriate, not pushed or rushed.
My mom would figure out my little brother wants something because he starts doing chores, forgets about his goal in the first place and falls off track when he's actually asked to do something simple. His light bulb goes off and pushes to get the job done suddenly in a rushed manner. She's now in the "alright, what is it now? You want to go out tonight, hang out with friends or what?" This is something beyond "half-assing".
An idea, though, is that in doing that serious conversation, you can talk about you yourself realizing that you want to be more serious and commiting to be a more productive member of this house. And stick with that commitment! If he's the kind of man and father I think he is, he will test you at what kind of man you want yourself to be.
That might sound odd, but its the same concept to asking your parent to help pay for a private college when you've been skating by highschool and never joining a single club and never volunteering. That parent just might be concerned that you'd drop out or get kicked out, and picturing the result of them losing thousands of dollars and their kid now seen as a failure. What if he's going through similar fears about you owning a gun? or what might happen when you and a gun are in the same room but he's not and something bad happens?
Long story short. Show the world and yourself that you are smart and responsible, let alone smart and responsible ENOUGH where you can be TRUSTED alone with a gun. That trust can go a long way.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19871 Times on 11287 Posts
Likes Given: 50100

GG, that's some excellent advice. very well said.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV

Other than not old enuff to tell the differences in ones gender, it sounds like you are on your way to being a fine young man.
Hehe thanks man