Need some advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Need some advice

Hey guys, so here is my dilemma:

Im 13 years old (a bit more mature for my age) and live with my dad for about 5 months. He already took me several times to the range, and ever since I discovered about firearms (about 8 years old) have become addicted.
My first time to the range was when I was 10 years old, and Dad took me there to see if I would let go a bit of my addiction, for me to see that it wasnt that big of a deal. Since my mom (separated from dad) had a trauma (spent 8 hours in a car with a gun to her head, she is better now), the moment she discovered, she put up a big scene and prohibited my dad to take me to the range.
Since now she is cool with it, sometimes dad and I go shooting, but always use rentals, since his S&W pistol uses a diferent type of .38 cartridge.
We live in Brazil and in December we go to Orlando, where I am buying an airsoft gun, since I cant have a real one.
Now, i am not one of those little pricks of sons, I truly love my family and have a great relanshionship with my dad, but every time I talk about firearms with him, its like he doesnt like to talk about them, and i see threads that people show guns that they got at my age, so I would like to buy one.
Could you guys help me out, I really like guns and have responsability, because even though theyre fun, they kill.
I really want to buy or to get a handgun, but dont know how to talk about it with my dad.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #2

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

It is not legal to own a firearm as a citizen in brazil. FYI.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just to add:
Its not like he evades talking about them, he evades having a whole conversation about them. For example: today on "pawn shop" a guy brought in a Colt SAA, and he called me to watch it with him, but to have an entire conversation, its like he is unconfortable.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus
He is a shooter, and he has all the documentation, etc. So technically, he can.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus
Are you brazilian?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #6

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

if it is legal to buy one in Brazil at that age, and your dad has strong feelings about it, see if you can buy it and he can lock it up and only let you 'use' it when going shooting together, until you are old enough to get a job and move out and live by your own rules. I never bought one at that age, but went out shooting waaay before that with my family.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV
if it is legal to buy one in Brazil at that age, and your dad has strong feelings about it, see if you can buy it and he can lock it up and only let you 'use' it when going shooting together, until you are old enough to get a job and move out and live by your own rules. I never bought one at that age, but went out shooting waaay before that with my family.
Exactly, but im not gonna buy, i mean, it could be with my money, but officialy, its gotta be him.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You are asking how to talk to your dad about eventually buying a handgun? This is something that might need to get some digging into between you and him. There's walls he is putting up for some reason or another. He's not avoiding the part of you both enjoying the same things, its something he specifically isn't ready for, and it is likely fear that is holding him back.
I recommend you be careful with this as you try to figure out whats going on. You might need to try and get into his head a little bit. Think like a grown up and picture why he might be afraid. You may even need to initiate a "man to man" sit-down discussion and get him to open up. He's been raising you and teaching you for a very long time about guns so he knows this will eventually happen. This isn't a conversation like how you'd convince your parents to let you get your driver's permit. You are trying to convince your dad to let you get a tool that is designed to kill, not go to your first job or going off to college. Don't be surprised if he bundles up, blocks you off, and deviates the discussion with a disciplinary voice. Just be careful and tread lightly.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl
You are asking how to talk to your dad about eventually buying a handgun? This is something that might need to get some digging into between you and him. There's walls he is putting up for some reason or another. He's not avoiding the part of you both enjoying the same things, its something he specifically isn't ready for, and it is likely fear that is holding him back.
I recommend you be careful with this as you try to figure out whats going on. You might need to try and get into his head a little bit. Think like a grown up and picture why he might be afraid. You may even need to initiate a "man to man" sit-down discussion and get him to open up. He's been raising you and teaching you for a very long time about guns so he knows this will eventually happen. This isn't a conversation like how you'd convince your parents to let you get your driver's permit. You are trying to convince your dad to let you get a tool that is designed to kill, not go to your first job or going off to college. Don't be surprised if he bundles up, blocks you off, and deviates the discussion with a disciplinary voice. Just be careful and tread lightly.
You see, the world needs more people like you. Thanks dude (or dudette). I realize that this is not something easy, and I will talk to him in a more man-to-man manner. Thank you very much. Since its sonething my family originally has (my grandpa was in the army, my dad is a shooter, my granduncle has a ppk, etc.) it will probably be a bit easier and all around a good idea. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #10

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

And it wouldn't hurt to man up and start taking on more responsibilities without being asked, like mowing the lawn, or sugar cane or whatever it is you guys have for property down there. lol
Take out the trash before it gets overflowing, clean your room. volunteer to do the dishes. Stop fighting with your brothers and sisters if any. Help mom out around the house and not talk back to her, etc
Maybe when your father sees you are growing up and being responsible it will be easier for him to think you are ready for a real gun.