Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some advice.

My wife is looking for a gun to call her own. She was looking at the Sig Mosquito but i have "heard" they have issues with jams and other malfunctions.

Is there any other gun out there about this size that she can operate well that is more reliable?

We might still get the Mosquito for plinking but she would still need something for self and home defense.

I have a 4.52 9mm B-Eagle at home and it is to large for her hands.
She is only 5'2 :P

so suggestions for a small handgun for her small hands?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Ruger has some nice small frame pistols and revolvers that might interest you. Springfield, Glock, Kahr and S&W also offer compact and subcompact semis in calibers from .380 through .45ACP. If possible go to a range and rent a few models so that your wife can get a feel for the different models. What's important is that she settle on a gun that is not only comfortable to shoot but also one that she is confident using.

A .22lr caliber is not really suitable for SD purposes, in my opinion. They are cheap and fun plinkers, and yes a .22lr can be lethal, but you don't want to stake your life on one.

Some of my favs...Springfield XDm 3.8" subcompact: 9mm, .40S&W, 45ACP

Ruger LCR .357 magnum, .38 spc

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

She could try the Ruger SR9c, or, the Smith and Wesson M&P. If she likes .45, the Colt Defender. They all have smaller/adjustable grip profiles, as far as auto pistols go.

ruger_sr9c.jpg   mp9-1.jpg   colt-defender-.45.jpg  

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 12-05-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Sounds like you want a full-framed style of gun, just scaled back a bit in size...rather than a stripped down micro or subcompact. So a medium frame with a not so fat grip, but also a barrel with decent length.

Do a little research on these guns:
Kahr CW9 (medium/compact single stack 9mm)
Sig P230 (medium sized 380)
Sig P239 (single stack 9mm)
Walther P380
Bersa Thunder (medium sized 380/9mm)

The safest bet when it comes to a quality 22lr is a Ruger or Browning. But a Walther P22 would be pretty "Mosquito-esque", and probably less finicky than the Sigs I've seen. As to the above list, there'll be no telling until she actually holds the gun. And then bear in mind that if she happens to be recoil sensitive, she'll have more success (and enjoyment) shooting something with at least a little bit of weight.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYcanary View Post
She could try the Ruger SR9c,
This is also an excellent suggestion. The SR9c is relatively slim for a double-stack 9mm, and it's been getting consistently solid reviews. And better still, they're very easy to find.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How about S&W Ladysmith revolver?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Wife has had her SR9C over a year now

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

As mentioned above, find a range that rents or friends who own, and let her try.

There are a number of great suggestions above. I would second the P22, since you mentioned a .22 in your OP. Then if she wants a defensive pistol, she can move up to the P380 without having to learn new controls or adjust to another "feel." Plus, she can get in cheap practice with her .22.

And if you like Walther, you might also look at the PPS.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to take her to a few lgs and check for those models. I think the m&p is to big for her hands if I remember correctly.
She may have to get a snub nose like the one in the first reply. She had a hard time racking the slide on my gun.
I figured she would have to go try and shoot a few but was looking to get a few model suggestions to look out for.
Appreciate the help