You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Need A Quick Opinion Please ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Bad, bad deal. Keep the Thompson and get a new mag for it. That was their main hangup.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 AM   #12
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
not really, go google some "glock leg" images and stories...

it happens to officers a lot. shooting holes in the floor boards of patrol cars or holes in legs. piece of holster bends inwards a little, clothing gets in the trigger guard any number of things gun goes in holster trigger gets yanked holes go in legs and such.

a heavier da pull or a external safety, not on the trigger, tends to prevent that in other designs.

carrying a glock in my opinion is about the same level of safety as carrying a revolver cocked. long as your finger isnt on the trigger they wont go off. but a foreign inanimate object in the trigger guard can easily set either off.

this is especially true for glocks that have lightened triggers.

anyway im not gonna call you bad names for liking a glock if you do thats your business. but the fact remains there is no real external safety on glocks
Yeah, I've read them or seen them before. I understand the thought process you are pointing out, I guess my personal opinion it they were literally ALL the gun owners fault, not the gun itself. Obviously off topic here so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #13

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK View Post
Yeah, I've read them or seen them before. I understand the thought process you are pointing out, I guess my personal opinion it they were literally ALL the gun owners fault, not the gun itself. Obviously off topic here so I'll just leave it at that.
You are 100% right AOK. Shocking how many gun owners want to blame unsafe gun handling on the tool. Hmm....

I've used Glocks for 25 years and never had one go nuts in my hand, holster, or on my nightstand.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #14

I think I would keep the 1911 and buy a used glock.I have sold used Glocks for $299-$350.They are a basic trouble free gun .If you did have a problem they are easily fixed.I have sold used ones that are as good as a new one but a lot less money.Good luck which ever way you go. Chicago and a handgun? you live dangerously!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #15

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Yes, let's definitely have a 1911 vs. Glock dust-up in a thread about a good or bad trade.

Are you asking because you had a sinking suspicion that you made a bad deal? JonM, I'm not sure that Glocks really go down in value after purchasing. I think the used market (at least where I live) is pretty strong and popular guns are holding their value.

Sadly, Glocks are in that category of "popular guns."

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #16

Default How can I tell it is a 4GEN glock and not a 3GEN ??

How can I tell it is a 4GEN glock and not a 3GEN ?? Any differences ?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7379 Times on 3939 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Yes, let's definitely have a 1911 vs. Glock dust-up in a thread about a good or bad trade.

Are you asking because you had a sinking suspicion that you made a bad deal? JonM, I'm not sure that Glocks really go down in value after purchasing. I think the used market (at least where I live) is pretty strong and popular guns are holding their value.

Sadly, Glocks are in that category of "popular guns."
Nah just the used market has a LOT of glocks. Ive fired glocks a bit but never owned one i keep trying things out every now and then to see if my tastes have changed. I keep an open mind. My next handgun is prolly going to be an xdm in 45 altho a 19+1 9mm version may tempt me

But if the OP is paying 150 and a 1911 in 100% condition for a glock then its not a good deal. If he gets 150$ in mags to go with it might change it a bit.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7379 Times on 3939 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw7676 View Post
The gen4 has that stamped on the side. The 3 and below do not. Mostly the diff is in the mag design grip design and mag release. Maybe some small internal changes
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw7676
Gen 4 has more narrow grip, different stippling, larger mag release, double recoil spring and different sights. Not much else but thats enough for me personally to know the gen4 is a better buy.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #20

Default Thank You All !!!

I would like to thank all of you for lending me your time and Your extensive knowledge of hand guns !!!! I really appreciate it all !!! jw7676