Need A Quick Opinion Please ....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need A Quick Opinion Please ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need A Quick Opinion Please ....

Good Afternoon All,

I have a situation that I hope someone may be able to assist me with.

I feel like a real "newbie" at this. I would like to get back into target shooting. For a no. of reasons, I have not shot a handgun in probably 30 some yrs, much less picked up a handgun.

I am looking to purchase a Glock Mod 19 GEN4. A friend of mine has one and I love it. I have a Thompson 1911-1A .45 ACP pistol (1981) brand new still in the box, wrappings and all paperwork.

I went to a local Gun Show in my area yesterday. I met a gun shop owner(local) and showed him this pistol. [He is supposedly a "premium Glock dealer" (??)] Anyway, he is interested in my pistol and asked how much I was asking for it. I then asked him "how much cash AND this pistol for a Glock Mod 19 GEN4 ??". He thought a moment and said "$150.00 cash & this pistol ....". I hesitated just for a second said it's a "deal".

Since the show was closing for the day, he said stop by my shop on Monday & bring the pistol and the cash and we can start the paper work for you 3-day waiting period and you can pick up the new pistol on Thursday.

My question to everyone is this a Good Fair or Bad DEAL ?? Did I get taken in this deal ??

Any comments, opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, JW7676.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Fair deal.
But I wouldn't trade a 1911 for a glock. I just don't like em.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I wouldn't trade a NIB 1911 for a Glock.
For target shooting give the 1911 a chance, but it's your money.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

auto ordanance 1911a1 according to my bluebook (2yrs old) lists them for 450$ nib. the AO 1911s werent the best out of the box 1911s. if it was a colt or a springfield i would call ya a nut... but while i personally think glocks are some of the worst guns on the market safety wise, value wise you did ok to very good.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Make sure you get the nice glock you want with everything on it you want and do the deal. Dont let him talk you into a plain jane glock while you hand over your new 1911 and your $. Enjoy your new glock. Ed

Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
with everything on it ... a plain jane glock
What options does a Glock have? Not being a hater, but it seems that almost every Glock in every flavor seems to be about the same price, give or take a little bit. Isn't every GLOCK a plain jane vanilla Coke?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
What options does a Glock have? Not being a hater, but it seems that almost every Glock in every flavor seems to be about the same price, give or take a little bit. Isn't every GLOCK a plain jane vanilla Coke?
Ive seen them with lasers, ported, all sorts of stuff. I'm not saying straight out of the box stuff. He might be able to swing something though.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i think i misread that!! your also giving 150$????? no, bad deal. unless its like a kimber or a ria straight up maybe. your gun is a 450$ gun the glock is a 499$ gun. the glock is gonna lose half its value the second you touch it. the 1911 is worth double the glock value after the trade.

strike what i wrote before

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
but while i personally think glocks are some of the worst guns on the market safety wise
Wow, that's a very odd and silly statement.

The trade is fair value wise. As others mentioned, a Glock 19 isn't your typical target shooting gun. People generally like them more for self defense. With that said, you got yourself a very nice handgun!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK View Post
Wow, that's a very odd and silly statement.
not really, go google some "glock leg" images and stories...

it happens to officers a lot. shooting holes in the floor boards of patrol cars or holes in legs. piece of holster bends inwards a little, clothing gets in the trigger guard any number of things gun goes in holster trigger gets yanked holes go in legs and such.

a heavier da pull or a external safety, not on the trigger, tends to prevent that in other designs.

carrying a glock in my opinion is about the same level of safety as carrying a revolver cocked. long as your finger isnt on the trigger they wont go off. but a foreign inanimate object in the trigger guard can easily set either off.

this is especially true for glocks that have lightened triggers.

anyway im not gonna call you bad names for liking a glock if you do thats your business. but the fact remains there is no real external safety on glocks

Last edited by JonM; 08-29-2011 at 03:04 AM.