Need opinions on buying a gun for protection - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need opinions on buying a gun for protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You didn't need a gun in your given scenario. You first need to develop a commitment to awareness, avoidance, and deescalation.

I would like to recommend "The Gift of Fear," by Gavin DeBecker.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 09-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Don't give rides to strangers and stay out of the bad parts of town.

The situation is over, you survived and you've learned something. If you now want a handgun for protection, think it over very carefully. Someone taking your cell phone is not a good reason to draw down on them and you risk very bad things if you do.

Not everyone can or should carry a handgun. You exercised extremely poor judgement and under the circumstances I would counsel you to think long and hard about whether you should carry or not.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Orangello- How do you like those MS gun laws?

Orangello, what part of MS are you from? I'm in Hernando, just south of the state line w/ TN.
I like them pretty well (except the supposed open carry allowance, if you can find Wonder Woman's invisible forehead holster). I haven't bothered to get a carry permit yet due to the car carry allowance (in your car, in your house, in your business concealed in-part or entirely). The new "enhanced" permit that requires a 16 hour training course sounds really good, depending on how it gets enforced/received at the colleges and such. The new "enhanced" permit may change my mind on getting a permit; of course if Dupree starts looking like a winner for Gov., i will go ahead and apply before he can mess with the permit process. I am down near Hattiesburg, MS, although i lived in Memphis and worked in Horn Lake & Senatobia for a while some years ago, nice area, Hernando area that is.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Someone taking your cell phone is not a good reason to draw down on them and you risk very bad things if you do.
If someone in my car, of clearly questionable character (which shouldn't happen, BTW), intended to carry off my cell phone right in front me...they might very well be introduced to my gun.

I'm a high school coach, and my phone provides direct access to a number of minors and their families. I guess that's why they call this the information age. If I've got a gun and you don't, guess what? You don't get to rob me. You certainly don't get access to that sensitive information.

That's my take, and I certainly don't expect it to apply to everyone.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The crook was getting out of the car, that means he wasn't a threat.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #16

in a situation like yours the use of a handgun may have landed you in jail as the guy had no real threat to your life nor did he have a weapon equivalent to you having a firearm so be careful the law can be tricky . Just a word of ADVICE