Need opinions on buying a gun for protection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need opinions on buying a gun for protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need opinions on buying a gun for protection

I made an unbelievably stupid mistake of giving some stranger a ride while I was at a store and he conned me by saying it was just up the street. So thirty minutes later I'm in the ghetto and stopped at what was supposedly his house and he had my phone and was getting out and I wouldn't let him leave with my phone. He wouldn't give it up so I got out and tried to take it back and he got back in my car so I grabbed him and my phone and threw him out then sped off.

I'm still beating myself up about doing such a stupid thing and now I'm trying to find out if I should get a gun or some kind of weapon. Are the consequences too great for having a gun in situations of dealing with thugs? I wouldn't be able to get one until after next summer. If I get one I'd want to take classes and get all the necessary permits for carrying one.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I doubt the next time I have to deal with thugs it won't go as smoothly.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Guns can be handy, but not as handy as the wisdom that jerk helped you get. Keep a good hand on what is yours and keep most others' hands off it.

If you haven't owned a firearm before, i would suggest you find a local friend who can let you try a few different ones they have or a friendly range that rents out guns for target practice on the range. In most places, you would need a permit to carry a firearm in your car (not in MS). In any place, you want to know how to use and control the firearm before carrying it, even just in the car.

In the mean time, get one of those $40 floor jacks at autozone for your trunk and keep the metal pipe/handle in your door pocket or by your seat for thug intimidation and maintaining your personal space.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Option #1
Don't talk to strangers.

Option #2 (more of a philosophy really)
There are no strangers, only friends we haven't met.

There may be a happy medium in between.

Things seem to have worked out...this time.

Live and learn.

Be alert!

Be Well.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Can you say "Situational Awareness"?

Commit this to memory:

"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

thanks for the criticism, I'll remember that the next time someone asks me to borrow my wallet.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehpden View Post
thanks for the criticism, I'll remember that the next time someone asks me to borrow my wallet.
You must admit your first post here was very Troll-like. What did you expect?

If you would have stopped over at the Introductions section first you would have received the following welcome.

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Rules and Regulations << Click Here

Welcome All, Please Read << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Orangello- How do you like those MS gun laws? and OP, the best policy for me is that I simply don't pick up anyone I don't think I could take on. I don't loan anything to anyone I don't know. And the last time someone told me to go just a little further down the road, I told them "that's too far out of the way for me, and at least now you don't have so far to walk" not because we were heading to a sketchy neighborhood, but because I don't ask for gas money when they don't ask for a ride, and it really was getting too far out of the way for me.

Orangello, what part of MS are you from? I'm in Hernando, just south of the state line w/ TN.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #8

Yikes.... I hope you're not a female! If you were a female and you were my friend, I'd have to kick your a$$ on principal.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If your going to make "not so smart decisions" getting a firearm wont be your answer. You want a gun to protect you and your family; if ever needed. With that being said, you cant invite trouble just because your strapped. Trouble finds you, not the other way around, and if needed then protect yourself.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If ur final decision is to buy a gun then i would damn well make sure u take the safety courses and know the gun u buy in and out. An impulse hangun purchase because u got scared is a bad decision and a fatal accident waiting to happen. Some people tht get scared want one for intimidation then they end up pulling it on someone just to scare them and end up getting it taken away and used on them.. Or u end up getting so scared during a situation and pulling the trigger whenever the level of force hadnt escilated where it was legal to do so. Just a couple of things to think about.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis