Need opinion on new gun purchace - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Need opinion on new gun purchace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i carry a xd 9mm sub-compact as primary ,kel-tec380 in a wallet style holster in my back pocket.carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot very well.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #12

Liked 114 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I thought the same thing until I shot a couple matt-It DON'T suck and is a good alternative to some of the wacky striker fired triggers on the market. In my opinion,the LDA is the closest thing to a double action revolver in regards to trigger/hammer operation. Try shooting 1 in comparsion to some of the striker fired pistols out there. For someone not familiar to shooting,the LDA is an excellent draw/aim/pull trigger firearm. Naturally it's NOT going to replace my 1911s with single action pull,just that the LDA is very good for someone wanting that kind of gun-heck-even I carry 1,try shooting 1 and you'll see. The ONLY objection I have with the system is the long reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
LDA sucks. It just isn't a single action, no matter what Para calls it. Dollar for Dollar, single action will beat out LDA unless your state or department requires that your carry a double action.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #13

True, you can't go wrong with a Glock, but honestly I'm not fond of the sub-compact models like the G27. Doesn't feel right in the hand and definitely pricey.

I stick with a Kel-Tec P11 for compact needs. 10 rounds, compact, and light enough that you forget you're even carrying. It has an absolutely horrible trigger and you will need to practice though. At less than 300 bucks it's ain't bad. Check out KTOG.org to find out more about em.

Need opinion on new gun purchace - General Handgun Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubb24 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a Florida resident that just applied for my concealed weapon permit. I currently have a USP 45 compact that I find to large to carry or leave in my glove compartment of my truck. I am looking for something that is: reasonable in price, reliable, and has stopping power; but is also smaller than the USP. Pretty much the best bang for my buck! I have researching and going to gun shops but cannot make up my mind. Right now it is between the fairly new Ruger lcp, Kal Tech 380, and Glock 27. I would be greatly appreciative to hear opinions on this upcoming decision I have to make.

Thank You,

Pete
Of the 3 you listed, the Glock 27 is quite a bit more gun in size/round/price. It is the odd man out of the three and the clear winner as a straight-up defensive handgun, which is why it has been the obvious winner in this thread. It is however more gun to carry than the other two.

I have a P3AT and it goes front pants pocket everywhere I go, which I would not do with the larger Glock 27. I liked the idea of Ruger coming out with a similiar gun, but have heard the scuttle about problems with the gun.

If you have the funds, I would have you check out the Kahr PM9 & PM40, which are slightly smaller than the Glock.

While the .380 might be a little anemic, I don't hesitate to carry one in a daily rounds-about-town type scenario. If I was in a scenario where I knew I had a more high-risk agenda I would probably upgrade to more gun. I know that you never know where the fight is going to find you, but some days you know what you are doing is more likely to take you into harms way.

Last edited by Bighead; 12-08-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #15

Liked 114 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 43

While bighead pretty well said anything needing saying,another option you definitely need to look at that's smaller & lighter than the kahrs is the roghbaugh 9mm ultra compact. Only 12.8 oz and quite a bit smaller than even the kahr-they are great carry option and absolutly the most firepower you'll find anywhere for .380 size pistol. While being a bit pricey,you CAN'T put a pricetag on your safety and this particular 9mm is outstanding in quality.
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #16

From personal experience, the Kel-Tec is a great carry firearm. Maybe I'm just biased though, they're made in my county.