Need opinion on new gun purchace
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need opinion on new gun purchace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need opinion on new gun purchace

Hello everyone! I am a Florida resident that just applied for my concealed weapon permit. I currently have a USP 45 compact that I find to large to carry or leave in my glove compartment of my truck. I am looking for something that is: reasonable in price, reliable, and has stopping power; but is also smaller than the USP. Pretty much the best bang for my buck! I have researching and going to gun shops but cannot make up my mind. Right now it is between the fairly new Ruger lcp, Kal Tech 380, and Glock 27. I would be greatly appreciative to hear opinions on this upcoming decision I have to make.

Thank You,

Pete

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #2

I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock. That's just my preference. Ruger too. I own a Ruger revolver and a semi-auto and I haven't had any problems. I own a Glock too, its stays in my night stand. I don't have any experience with the Kel Tech. I have heard good things about them though.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #3

my local gun store said they won't sell any more lcp's until ruger admits the problem and fixes them. I was dissapointed, but decided to go with a NAA .380. Similar size as keltec and ruger, heavier though. Go hold
A Keltec you will know Right away if You would want it or Not

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3396 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 19152

Glock,Glock,Glock,Glo.........................etc. ,only my humble opinion .

If you can afford it "Les Baer-1911-SRP " .Glocks are not the best but out of the you can't go wrong.

Last edited by dango; 11-16-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #5

Go with the glock you can't go wrong.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubb24 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a Florida resident that just applied for my concealed weapon permit. I currently have a USP 45 compact that I find to large to carry or leave in my glove compartment of my truck. I am looking for something that is: reasonable in price, reliable, and has stopping power; but is also smaller than the USP. Pretty much the best bang for my buck! I have researching and going to gun shops but cannot make up my mind. Right now it is between the fairly new Ruger lcp, Kal Tech 380, and Glock 27. I would be greatly appreciative to hear opinions on this upcoming decision I have to make.

Thank You,

Pete
It's your decision Bud, but I carry a P3AT Kel Tec and a CZ75B.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 AM   #7

I'm a bit biased...Glock!! Simple, reliable and proven performer. But, try to shoot the ones on your list and go with the one that is best for YOU.

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves. ~Nietzsche

Old 11-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My Kimber Compact is smaller than a Compact USP and a much nicer pistol to shoot.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While glocks are good reliable guns,you either like them or hate them-personally I don't like them. A small 1911 .45 with a short grip and 3" barrel would be much more concealable than what you have,and just as small as the glocks previously reccomended. My own personal choice of these offers the best of both worlds-proven 1911 design in compact package AND EXTREMELY smooth,light,safe double action in the para ordnance LDA C6 model. I'm totally serious,the very 1st time I tried the trigger on 1 of these,I thought the damn thing was broke-as light and smooth as it was. Yes,paras are a bit costly but when you spread cost out over the years of service,and the fact that you can't put a price tag on personal safety,it's not such a bad deal after all. After all,once you're in middle of situation where you need it DESPERATELY and it fails,it's too late to go back and pay 200$ more for it.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
While glocks are good reliable guns,you either like them or hate them-personally I don't like them. A small 1911 .45 with a short grip and 3" barrel would be much more concealable than what you have,and just as small as the glocks previously reccomended. My own personal choice of these offers the best of both worlds-proven 1911 design in compact package AND EXTREMELY smooth,light,safe double action in the para ordnance LDA C6 model. I'm totally serious,the very 1st time I tried the trigger on 1 of these,I thought the damn thing was broke-as light and smooth as it was. Yes,paras are a bit costly but when you spread cost out over the years of service,and the fact that you can't put a price tag on personal safety,it's not such a bad deal after all. After all,once you're in middle of situation where you need it DESPERATELY and it fails,it's too late to go back and pay 200$ more for it.
LDA sucks. It just isn't a single action, no matter what Para calls it. Dollar for Dollar, single action will beat out LDA unless your state or department requires that your carry a double action.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.