Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Need opinion on new gun purchace (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/need-opinion-new-gun-purchace-8003/)

Dubb24 10-26-2008 08:47 PM

Need opinion on new gun purchace

Hello everyone! I am a Florida resident that just applied for my concealed weapon permit. I currently have a USP 45 compact that I find to large to carry or leave in my glove compartment of my truck. I am looking for something that is: reasonable in price, reliable, and has stopping power; but is also smaller than the USP. Pretty much the best bang for my buck! I have researching and going to gun shops but cannot make up my mind. Right now it is between the fairly new Ruger lcp, Kal Tech 380, and Glock 27. I would be greatly appreciative to hear opinions on this upcoming decision I have to make.

Thank You,

Pete

mdw104 10-26-2008 10:19 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock. That's just my preference. Ruger too. I own a Ruger revolver and a semi-auto and I haven't had any problems. I own a Glock too, its stays in my night stand. I don't have any experience with the Kel Tech. I have heard good things about them though.

harleysilo 10-27-2008 12:57 AM

my local gun store said they won't sell any more lcp's until ruger admits the problem and fixes them. I was dissapointed, but decided to go with a NAA .380. Similar size as keltec and ruger, heavier though. Go hold
A Keltec you will know Right away if You would want it or Not

dango 11-16-2008 06:13 PM

Glock,Glock,Glock,Glo.........................etc. ,only my humble opinion .

If you can afford it "Les Baer-1911-SRP " .Glocks are not the best but out of the you can't go wrong.

stetson 11-16-2008 10:56 PM

Go with the glock you can't go wrong.

Mark F 11-17-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubb24 (Post 47168)
Hello everyone! I am a Florida resident that just applied for my concealed weapon permit. I currently have a USP 45 compact that I find to large to carry or leave in my glove compartment of my truck. I am looking for something that is: reasonable in price, reliable, and has stopping power; but is also smaller than the USP. Pretty much the best bang for my buck! I have researching and going to gun shops but cannot make up my mind. Right now it is between the fairly new Ruger lcp, Kal Tech 380, and Glock 27. I would be greatly appreciative to hear opinions on this upcoming decision I have to make.

Thank You,

Pete

It's your decision Bud, but I carry a P3AT Kel Tec and a CZ75B.

First Sgt 11-25-2008 03:25 AM

I'm a bit biased...Glock!! Simple, reliable and proven performer. But, try to shoot the ones on your list and go with the one that is best for YOU.

matt g 11-25-2008 03:42 AM

My Kimber Compact is smaller than a Compact USP and a much nicer pistol to shoot.

stalkingbear 11-25-2008 10:02 PM

While glocks are good reliable guns,you either like them or hate them-personally I don't like them. A small 1911 .45 with a short grip and 3" barrel would be much more concealable than what you have,and just as small as the glocks previously reccomended. My own personal choice of these offers the best of both worlds-proven 1911 design in compact package AND EXTREMELY smooth,light,safe double action in the para ordnance LDA C6 model. I'm totally serious,the very 1st time I tried the trigger on 1 of these,I thought the damn thing was broke-as light and smooth as it was. Yes,paras are a bit costly but when you spread cost out over the years of service,and the fact that you can't put a price tag on personal safety,it's not such a bad deal after all. After all,once you're in middle of situation where you need it DESPERATELY and it fails,it's too late to go back and pay 200$ more for it.

matt g 11-25-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 52442)
While glocks are good reliable guns,you either like them or hate them-personally I don't like them. A small 1911 .45 with a short grip and 3" barrel would be much more concealable than what you have,and just as small as the glocks previously reccomended. My own personal choice of these offers the best of both worlds-proven 1911 design in compact package AND EXTREMELY smooth,light,safe double action in the para ordnance LDA C6 model. I'm totally serious,the very 1st time I tried the trigger on 1 of these,I thought the damn thing was broke-as light and smooth as it was. Yes,paras are a bit costly but when you spread cost out over the years of service,and the fact that you can't put a price tag on personal safety,it's not such a bad deal after all. After all,once you're in middle of situation where you need it DESPERATELY and it fails,it's too late to go back and pay 200$ more for it.

LDA sucks. It just isn't a single action, no matter what Para calls it. Dollar for Dollar, single action will beat out LDA unless your state or department requires that your carry a double action.