Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need Help Selecting Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
A semi-auto for somebody who has never fired a gun before?
Why not? It worked for me. Having never fired a handgun, while serving in the US Navy in 1967 and reaching the exalted pay grade of E-5, I was assigned as the the base range master at NAS Miramar, Ca. When the pistol team showed up to practice on my first day, I found someone willing to instruct me on the basics, using the Pistol M1911-a1. Six months later and lots of lead downrange, I was shooting on the pistol team, in matches all throughout the 11th Naval District.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Welcome Jay,

I would also agree that my first choice would be a shotgun, but since you have kids in the house it's a little more difficult to secure and still have accessible at night. I would certainly consider choosing a handgun and having a way to store it close by as a good option. This is what I make and have mounted to my side of the bed.

FAS1 SAFE, LLC

There are many options for you to consider and all the information you get here and other places will help you determine what is best for you.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #23

Default Thanks!

Wow, thank you everyone for your very helpful advice and comments. First of all let me apologize for my rudeness. I was eager to post my question and I should have introduced myself first.

My name is Jay and I live in Portland, OR. I am 35 years old, self employed, and married with 2 beautiful children.

To dnthmn2004, I appreciate your concern for my reasons for getting a gun. I only mentioned "striking fear" as a consideration to my choice because it would be preferable if I can avoid discharging the weapon while still effectively stopping the actions of an intruder or hostile. But trust me, I understand that a gun owner must be prepared to use his or her weapon, that it is deadly force, and if that should be necessary, effectiveness of the weapon is the primary concern.

The overwhelming majority of you have recommended a pump action shotgun, and I think that sounds like it will fit the bill for me nicely. I like the idea of it being fool-proof, easy to hit a target, and like USEBOTHHANDS said, there's no mistaking the sound of that round being pumped into the barrel. That's what I'm talking about when I say striking fear into the intruder! So thank you for pointing that out.

To utf59, you are absolutely right that I mentioned quick and easy to load because I do not want my children to have access to a loaded gun. So my question after your comment about that is - if I get a quality lock box for my weapon, are you saying it is considered acceptable to keep the firearm inside loaded? Everything I've ever heard about keeping a gun in a house with children says keep the weapon and the ammo in separate places... but I know I am no authority on the matter.

To FAS1: I looked at your link and those look like very good lock boxes. Do you make any for a shotgun? If not, suggestions for a shotgun lock case?

And one last question: Looking around at pump action shotguns, I see that there are models with and without a stock and some models that are considerably shorter than others. I see that the Remington 870 for example comes in both sizes. My initial feeling is to go with a shorter one to make storage and handling in potentially small confined spaces easier. Am I correct to assume that? Are there any other pros and cons to consider when choosing between long/short & stock/no stock?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1123 View Post
Looking around at pump action shotguns, I see that there are models with and without a stock and some models that are considerably shorter than others. I see that the Remington 870 for example comes in both sizes. My initial feeling is to go with a shorter one to make storage and handling in potentially small confined spaces easier. Am I correct to assume that?
You are correct.

Quote:
Are there any other pros and cons to consider when choosing between long/short & stock/no stock?
The stock makes it longer which is a con based on previous but will help you tremendously to control the recoil. Note that there are SG's with folding stock as well.

Another thing to consider is the choice of shell. Most I've read recommends the following for 12 Ga. home defense (esp the bold ones):

#TriBall Buck 20.41 g (315 gr.) 15.24 mm (0.60")
#0000 Buck 5.51 g (85 gr.) 9.40 mm (0.380")
#000 Buck 4.54 g (70 gr.) 9.14 mm (0.360")
#00 Buck 3.49 g (53.8 gr.) 8.38 mm (0.330")

#0 Buck 3.18 g (49 gr.) 8.13 mm (0.320")
#1 Buck 2.62 g (40.5 gr.) 7.62 mm (0.300")

Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #25

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

buy the full stock model, you can ALWAYS change it later. a shotgun can be fired from the shoulder or the hip, just depends on your grip..........most grown men can hold and shoot a full-sized 20ga with one hand (albeit only 1x, cuz, uh, then, it has to be pumped), SOME BIG OL' BOYS, can hold and shoot the 12ga with one hand. i can't shoot my 870 like that because of the weight.

barrels can be changed @ any time you get a whim, and just as fast as your whim. you can find shotgun combos, where you can get 2 barrels with your purchase -- a birding barrel, and/or a slug barrel (ya don't necessarily have to shoot ONLY slugs out of it, buckshot will work, but it has riflings inside that spin the slug for stability. it wouldn't be for shooting buckshot ALL the time).

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #26

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Wow, thank you everyone for your very helpful advice and comments. First of all let me apologize for my rudeness. I was eager to post my question and I should have introduced myself first.

My name is Jay and I live in Portland, OR. I am 35 years old, self employed, and married with 2 beautiful children.

To utf59, you are absolutely right that I mentioned quick and easy to load because I do not want my children to have access to a loaded gun. So my question after your comment about that is - if I get a quality lock box for my weapon, are you saying it is considered acceptable to keep the firearm inside loaded? Everything I've ever heard about keeping a gun in a house with children says keep the weapon and the ammo in separate places... but I know I am no authority on the matter.

this is a TERRIFIC concept, but you have to be proficient enough to be able to:

1. recognize and assess a/the potential threat (in the middle of the night, from a semi-conscious state),
2. wake your wife up (and have her calling 911),
3. get up retrieve your weapon of choice (while worrying about your children),
4. make your way to the children,
5. stay with your family until "help" arrives.

*3 and 4 CAN BE INTERCHANGED

you would have to be worrying about 1 - 5 as you were panicking to load your weapon. i say panicking because adrenaline is a b!tch.

i keep mine loaded (magazine only), and put up in my closet on the top shelf, she (my 3 y.o.) only sees my "guns" when i go to the hunting camp; where i move them from the house to the truck, or truck to camp. she NEVER sees where daddy keeps his "guns." there is also a slide-bolt lock on my closet @ about 5 1/2 feet.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #27

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Wow, thank you everyone for your very helpful advice and comments.

To FAS1: I looked at your link and those look like very good lock boxes. Do you make any for a shotgun? If not, suggestions for a shotgun lock case?

Thanks. We are working on a couple products for long guns but we are still too far away to announce availability.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE