Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need Help Selecting Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help Selecting Gun

Hello,

I need some help selecting the right gun for my needs. The first thing you should know about me is that I have never fired a gun in my life. However, I now have 2 children ages 1 and 5 and I live in an urban area with the possibility of prowlers and other such mischief.

So I feel like I would sleep better at night knowing I had some way to protect myself and my family.

I am 35, able-bodied, and yes I do intend to get firing and safety instruction upon purchasing a gun. I will not use the gun for any other purpose than household protection and practice firing.

The gun I select should be easy and quick to load. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Just effective at not only firing if necessary but probably more importantly - striking fear into whomever might be invading our space.

Will the community please help me in selecting the right model for my needs?

Thank you kindly.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

A nice pump shotgun is cheap and a VERY effective home defense gun. No handgun will work as well for this duty and no handgun is as easy to shoot efficiently. By efficiently, I mean being able to hit what you point at without considerable practice...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

First off, go by the introductions department and give us a "HI", we like that.

I'm a little worried that you want a firearm for the wrong reasons. "Striking fear" into a BG is not why you own a firearm. I think you need to rethink your reasoning. I'm sure cane will be by soon to give you the proper reading you obviously need.

As far as a firearm, if you want it just for home protection, go with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Easy to operate, easy to shoot, basically idiot-proof.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You need to test any of the recommended guns to see if it is a good fit for you.

When I did my search these were my top contenders (plus a few).
Springfield XD 9mm
Springfield XDm 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
CZ P07 Duty 9mm
Sig SP2022 9mm

This is just an initial list for your consideration.

I decided on XDm 9mm but by faith, I ended with a .40 cal XDm.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Welcome aboard, Jay.

Find a range in your area that rents guns, and has classes. You will want something that fits your hand, as well as your needs.

Try a bunch before you make a decision. As far as the quality of the guns you end up considering, we are happy to answer those questions when they arise.

If you encounter what feels like "bad attitude" when you go to the range, try again later at another time. Find someone who is knowledgeable and helpful to assist you.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

1) Buy a simple pump action shotgun. 12ga is ideal, but 20ga can also make for a fine home defender. $200-300 will set you up.

2) A pistol is good to have (portability), but starting off on a 22lr is ideal (gun cost, ammo cost building good habits, etc). You can get into a pretty darn solid Ruger or Browning rimfire for $300.

3) A centerfire pistol, medium to full-frame. 357 revolvers are fine options, as are 9mm/40sw/45acp autoloaders. 9mm would be my suggestion. Plan on spending $300-600. The vast majority of the options in that price range are really solid guns and most are simple and newbie friendly. When you get it narrowed down that far...that's when folks on a message board such as this can make more informed suggestions.

My uninformed suggestion would be this- Since it's not to be a carry piece, my biased opinion would favor a CZ 75b. Fine gun, fine price, and if the guns fits you it'll address your needs perfectly. But you could receive any number of other suggestions that will have equal merit. Choosing your gun is a very personal decision.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

And yes, I saw this was in the handgun section when I recommended a shotgun...

Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
When I did my search these were my top contenders (plus a few).
Springfield XD 9mm
Springfield XDm 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
CZ P07 Duty 9mm
Sig SP2022 9mm
Seems like someone really wanted plastic...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
My uninformed suggestion would be this- Since it's not to be a carry piece, my biased opinion would favor a CZ 75b. Fine gun, fine price, and if the guns fits you it'll address your needs perfectly. But you could receive any number of other suggestions that will have equal merit. Choosing your gun is a very personal decision.
Oh yeah, CZ 75b was on my list but forgot that too. Definitely worth checking.

I agree 100%

Old 02-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Seems like someone really wanted plastic...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Guilty as charged

Main reason is the price...I wanted Sig 226, 228, 229, etc. BAD but cannot afford it.