Need Help in Handgun Decision - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need Help in Handgun Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Take it to a smith and have it checked out if you're concerned. Then clean it and lube it and shoot the heck out of it. You can always but an XD down the road, but a Springfield 1911 for $500. is a keeper.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
The Springer GI is a milspec gun. Milspec extractor, and ejection port. It will chew up the case rim, and it will flatten the case mouth.

If you are planning on reloading for this, the brass will be beat up, often worthless.
if its got the wrong springs that might occur. my ithaca manufacture 1944 doesnt get any more milspec than that spits out empties in perfect reloadable condition. depends on how spec the springfield version is to milspec i suppose. mileage may vary.

i would stick with the 1911. much better gun. 1911>xd(m)>sw mp>rock&slingshot>glock

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
The Springer GI is a milspec gun. Milspec extractor, and ejection port. It will chew up the case rim, and it will flatten the case mouth.

If you are planning on reloading for this, the brass will be beat up, often worthless.
The OP did say that it has been worked on to the tune of around 9 bills. Did you even read the post or just jump in when you saw GI?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
The OP did say that it has been worked on to the tune of around 9 bills. Did you even read the post or just jump in when you saw GI?
Yes, I saw the title and posted a reply without even reading the whole story.

DID YOU READ IT?

OP mentions, $900, Wilson hammer and beavertail. Ive seen that gun for $550-700. about $100 worth of parts mentioned. Potentially close to that $900 mark. He never mentioned replaced sights, guiderod, spring, mainspring housing, or ither custom work such as the lower and flare or fitment.

So Im assuming that since it is the afformentioned GI, and he doesnt mention lower and flare, that it has not been done.

The Stainless GI i USED to have, was a brass killing machine. They are an entry level gun. A good range blaster. Honestly not one Id spend money customizing.

May I explain anything else Ive done?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 11-26-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #15

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I went back to store to do some more inspection on the used SA 1911 GI and to pay off my gun to start my 10 day cool off period. Stupid California Law.
The guy told me that they can't start the DROS filing until after the 30 day period since it was used. They have to make sure it wasn't stolen or used in a crime. They said to come back on Dec 12 to do the DROS and then they can start the 10 day hold. That means that I won't be able to get my 1911 till almost Christmas!!!
Luckily they had a brand new SA 1911 GI at there other store for only $600 and having it shipped over! Now I can sleep better now that my worries are no more. I'll be getting it December 7th!

Last edited by Sharpshooter76; 11-27-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #16

I will post a pic of the gun when I get it. Can't wait to shoot it. I shot my buddies SA 1911 Loaded version and that thing is sooo accurate out of the box. Awesome side arm.

Last edited by Sharpshooter76; 11-27-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter76 View Post
Hello fellow shooters. I'm new to this forum but looks like a great place to get some decisions out of the way.
I just recently purchased a used Springfield 1911 GI model for $500. It came with add ons like the Wilson Combat extended beavertail and Wilson Combat skeletonized hammer. I guess the original owner spent a total of $900 all together?
Since it was used I am worried if the thing would have any issues since it has been used. Now I am looking to exchange it for a brand new Springfield XD-45 instead for $600.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
I may have read too fast, thought you already owned the pistol and were thinking of trading it in on another pistol. As did most members that responded as they suggested how to have "your pistol" checked out. A honest question will get a honest answer.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I may have read too fast, thought you already owned the pistol and were thinking of trading it in on another pistol. As did most members that responded as they suggested how to have "your pistol" checked out. A honest question will get a honest answer.
Huh??? I bought the used 1911 but there was no way for my to have it checked out by a gunsmith since it has to be held for 30 days plus another 10 days for the cool off period. Instead of worrying if the gun would even fire I wanted to put my deposit towards another pistol instead and since they didn't have another 1911 in my price range I thought I would settle for the xd. What do you mean by "A honest question will get a honest answer"?

Last edited by Sharpshooter76; 11-28-2010 at 04:21 AM.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes, I saw the title and posted a reply without even reading the whole story.

DID YOU READ IT?

OP mentions, $900, Wilson hammer and beavertail. Ive seen that gun for $550-700. about $100 worth of parts mentioned. Potentially close to that $900 mark. He never mentioned replaced sights, guiderod, spring, mainspring housing, or ither custom work such as the lower and flare or fitment.

So Im assuming that since it is the afformentioned GI, and he doesnt mention lower and flare, that it has not been done.

The Stainless GI i USED to have, was a brass killing machine. They are an entry level gun. A good range blaster. Honestly not one Id spend money customizing.

May I explain anything else Ive done?
Well the guy at the counter said the parts would cost about $200 plus another $100 to get it installed by a gunsmith so he said the original owner probably spent a total of $600 for the gun and another $300 for parts and install so $900. Didn't mean for this thread to take a wrong turn.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never sell or trade a gun, you will always regret it one way or another.

People get the government they deserve.