Need help with gun choice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help with gun choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Between November 1 and January 31, 2008 purchase any New Smith & Wesson
i-Bolt or Model 460 or 500 revolver and buy a Sigma* pistol for $99.00 at participating dealers.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&content=48313&sect ionId=10002

That tells you something when S&W starts offering a pistol as a bonus to another purchase.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 AM   #22

I have used all three and strictly for argument's sake, the Sigma was less than I had hoped when I purchased it. The Ruger P series as stated, are not pretty but very functional. I have the most experience with the M9/ 92F series. The slide mounted safety/ decocker is inconveniant but easily managable. If I were carrying it for self defense, the safety wouldn't be on anyhow. As far as the dis-similar metals (steel slide, aluminum frame rails), this is a complete non issue. Any wear within the "first 500 rounds" will be cosmetic only. In the service I was a depot level armorer and range instructor. We ran the range 10 hours a day, six days a week, 362 days a year and serviced all of our weapons in house. With 210 M9's in our inventory, the most common problem was broken locking blocks, and that was after ten thousand plus rounds. Even then, I only saw maybe 15 of them in three years. Accuracy was as good as the shooter. As instructors on our down time we shot... A lot. One of my buddies could consistantly eliminate the bull with only part of the nine ring from a 1000 inch rifle target at 25 yards. I would look hardest at the Ruger and the Beretta. Then again, I would buy a Glock of my preferred caliber and be done with it. Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-21-2008 at 05:50 AM.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Different strokes for different shooters...

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you Jeepcreep on the wear and tear of the aluminum frame and steel slide. First off, the moving part, the slide, is steel, the stationary part, the frame, is aluminum. The steel sliding back and forth across the aluminum is going to cause wear just from the sheer mass and density of steel versus aluminum. Now, I purposely stayed away from my own bad experience in my first write up, because I wanted to remain somewhat objective. As I feel it bears on our discussion here, I will include it now. I personally owned a civilian Beretta 92-F and never had a failure of the locking blocks, nor did I ever experience any real accuracy problems for the most part. What I did have, after about 2 years of ownership was a very visable difference in the size and shape in the slide rails on the back & front of the frame on the left side of the weapon from the slide riding unevenly. You could see a visable shape difference on the upper side of the outside of the frame slide rails on the left side and the under side of the frame slide rails on the right side of the weapon. The slide didn't wear, but the frame sure did. I wasn't shooting +P+. I wasn't shooting +P. I was shooting 124gr. almost the whole time, and I probably put about 500 rounds a month through the gun for the better part of 2 years. Beretta was next to zero help when I sent the weapon in. Their answer was that I was shooting handloads that were of excessive pressure. That was not the case, I was shooting all factory ammo because I was on the road at the time and living in hotel rooms, but so be it, they are the experts and they already had my money.

Now, cosmetic or not, you shouldn't have that level of visable wear and tear on a gun that early on, within 500 rounds, 800 rounds TOPS. The bluing will easily be seen wearing, and who wants a two tone gun when you bought a blued one, internal parts or not. If T/S's friend is buying this as his first gun, presumably he is going to have it for a long time to come. It would be nice to see him get something that will have a decent life to it and a company that will take care of him down the line. The Beretta warranty is atrocious and their customer service is non-existant.

The Taurus is the same basic gun, but it's all steel and the warranty is for the life of the weapon.

But that is from my experiences with the weapon and the company. Your experiences may vary.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #24

No one I know in the Law Enforcement world carries a "GLOCK & WESSON" (SIGMA) and for good reason! Feeding and operational problems were a daily thing while teaching firearms at the Police accademy. People got better guns and shot better. Not a glock fan but carry one on duty because it is issued. But carried my choice Smith and wesson, Model 4006.

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 03-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntintoo View Post
No one I know in the Law Enforcement world carries a "GLOCK & WESSON" (SIGMA) and for good reason! Feeding and operational problems were a daily thing while teaching firearms at the Police accademy. People got better guns and shot better. Not a glock fan but carry one on duty because it is issued. But carried my choice Smith and wesson, Model 4006.
Well, someone must have been carrying the S&W Sigma, there are way too many used ones on the resale market for "no one to be carrying one".

Old 03-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Well, someone must have been carrying the S&W Sigma, there are way too many used ones on the resale market for "no one to be carrying one".
He said no one he knows. His department issues Glocks and maybe the locals around him do as well.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I understand that Dillinger, I just want people to know that there are a lot of the S&W Sigma guns out there, if you have seen the S&W M&P semi-auto guns you will instantly recognize the hinged trigger that most people who hate the Sigma know & dislike. As a gun dealer I can tell you I have sold many of the Sigma's and even a few of the M&P guns, just like anything else for every person who hates it someone out there actually likes it!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #28

They are not carrying them because they are all cleaned up for hopefull sale. HEE HEE!

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #29

Of the 3 choices you gavei would go with the Sigma. I have one in 9mm and love it. But i would have to agree with others and say GET A GLOCK 22 (.40 S&W) I also have a ruger and do not like it at all. Big, Ugly, and IMHO cheaply made. But try some out and let us know what u choice.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #30

Get the beretta, not the 92. Its big. If he wants a ccw, I carry a beretta 9000/40, If I was buying a new gun, Id go with the beretta px4. Itscompact and a sweet shooter. The 40 seems a bit faster then the 9mm.