Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help with gun choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help with gun choice

I have a friend who has decided to purchase new pistol and has asked my advice on what he should get, he has narrowed down his choices to these three kinds. Smith & Wesson Sigma .40
Beretta 92
Ruger 9mm P series. I don't know which one of these is the better pistol but i have heard a lot of good comments about the Ruger. What would you recommend?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-enfeild View Post
I have a friend who has decided to purchase new pistol and has asked my advice on what he should get, he has narrowed down his choices to these three kinds. Smith & Wesson Sigma .40
Beretta 92
Ruger 9mm P series. I don't know which one of these is the better pistol but i have heard a lot of good comments about the Ruger. What would you recommend?
Glock G22 is a .40 S&W and very hard to beat in my opinion. I also purchased a 9mm conversion competition barrel for it mfrom LWD. With the .40 S&W barrel in it I use it for home defense. When I go to the range, the 9mm barrel is in it. Much cheaper on ammo that way.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sigma

Hands down I would go with the Sigma. It is as good as a gun as anyone "needs" and right now S&W is offering a $50 rebate and an additional 2 free magazines for each Sigma, or M&P for that matter (see the S&W web site for details). At a gun store here in Atlanta (Adventure Outdoors) they are selling new Sigma's for $279. So for $229 plus tax (assuming your local dealer has a similar mark up) you can have the gun and a total of 4 magazines.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #4

How are you able to try out the guns before you purchase them?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Rental

Most indoor ranges have guns they will let you "rent" to use on their indoor range.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

Berretta would be my choice.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've had a SS Ruger P89DC for over 10 years and it's reliable, accurate, and built like a tank. They're not the prettiest pistols but they go bang with any type of ammo I've tried. They're also very inexpensive...

Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #8

old school here. go with ruger, american made? I remember a while back s&w sold out to the anti-gun people. glocks is uglyto me. sorry if it offends some folks, i have always had great luck with any ruger product, they go bang when i want em to.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Berretta would be my choice also, S&W got a longggggggg spongy trigger pull , we call them lawyer triggers and its not adjustable either, the ruger would come next

Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
keb

I'm also previous LE. 12 yrs rural Ak. Personally, I have been shooting wheel guns for the longest, (30yrs), and I carry them a lot in .45 colt or .44 mag. when concealability is not an issue. Otherwise, I carry compact .45 for two legged varmints... I think you would be wise to stick with what you know--you know the drill, why relearn on a new weapon when it's already in your head...I have watched a .40 glock drop a three yr old brown bear with a single well placed shot. Not my choice however--I'd go with the 10mm...that's a lot of power if you can get your hand around one and will practice with the full power loads...also, in Ak, your weapon is going to get wet, dirty, sandy, etc, etc. They may be ugly, but you can not beat a glock for simple reliability and function...I carried one for on/off duty for 10yrs. Ask your favorite gunsmith how many moving parts there are in the average wheel gun vs the glock...you will be surprised.