Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help with grouping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have been shooting for about 6+ months now. I own a beretta M9, Sig P226 elite, Glock21 G4, Glock27 G3, and a Colt Lawman MKIII. I go to the range about twice a month. I can hit the targets every time at minimum 20feet (no grouping) but they don't let you shoot any closer and there r no other ranges I can get to around me to go closer or outdoors. So I have to deal with it. Now my problem is that I cannot group shots. I don't know if it's my stance, aim, hold, breath, ect.... Like I said I can hit the targets fine thatales me feel good that if someone broke into my home I would feel that I could take them out but I want to be able to group tight. That's my goal. I will give all my info: I'm left handed, hold gun right handed because left just does not feel right at all, close my left eye, stand in the weaver type stance, sometimes I try squared up feet planted, but that feels weird too. I tried holding my arms straight out, half way, push/pull grip, squeeze wrist grip, fight recoil to get back on target quick, let recoil do its thing, etc....... What am I doing wrong. I hear about ppl shooting groups @ 25 yards n such. I would like to be able to do that. It just seems like I'm gonna hit where I shoot but I never do. I planted my guns and fired them and they've dead on so I know it's me. I really need some info/help with this because it is pissing me off a lot. I don't really know how I should stand vs hold my guns. And aim too. Anyone that can help me out with this please do so. I would greatly appreciate it. Thnx

Last edited by NvRbanArms; 03-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1) right handed or left?
2) as you said @20 feet (free standing i assume) is a bit much try a rest
3) are your shots all over the place?
4) have you see the shot placement target that has been posted before?

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Not seeing your targets does not help.

One "mistake" I see is that people shoot, see where they hit, then move the sight picture to where they think it should be.

The sight picture has to be the same for every shot (no matter where it hits on paper). Point of Aim (POA) is not necessarily the same as Point of Impact (POI).

If you have adjustable sights, move them to the center position (left and right), and try again.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is follow through. I hear that all the time and have no clue what it means and how to????

Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I'm no where near an expert shooter but I have learned alot on this forum. I was having the same problem up to about 2-3 weeks ago with my xd9 sub. Here's what I've learned:

1...master the two hand grip (go on utube...there are a ton of experts that show the proper grip)
2...dry fire practice (of course making sure your gun is unloaded) I would sit at home night after night and practice aiming my new xd9 at a spot on a wall and very slowly squeeze the trigger until I don't get movement from the gun when I pulled the trigger.
3...take your time. (I've had the worst tendency to rush my shots, and I am still fighting that bad habit) but practice taking your time and speed will come automatically (shooting and follow-up)
4...follow through is very important. As you're practicing the first three steps, your gun should surprise you as it is fired or as the gun clicks when dry firing. We've all fought the "anticipation reflex"....that's where taking your time and slowly squeezing the trigger comes into play. When you slowly squeeze the trigger and your gun gives you a little surprise and your sight alignment isn't altered as your gun goes off or clicks (dry firing), then that is follow-through.
5...breath control....remember to breath slowly and calmly. If you're all excited about shooting your gun, you wont group well.

These are things I've learned on here and has helped me tremendously. Also take a look at that "shot chart". I've looked at and discovered that I was squeezing g the grip to tight and had too much of my trigger finger on the trigger.

Good luck bro....I know if this forum helped me, it will definitely you out.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The best way to work follow through (I have found) it to release the trigger as slowly as you squeeze it.

Many on the range will immediately release the trigger when the shot is fired. This moves the barrel. Dry fire should include releasing the trigger slowly (or at least wait until all reflexes from recoil are gone). Have someone take a video of you shooting. You will be surprised. That is where you see bad habits.

In other words, when the firearm goes off, continue to pull the trigger.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
1) right handed or left?
2) as you said @20 feet (free standing i assume) is a bit much try a rest
3) are your shots all over the place?
4) have you see the shot placement target that has been posted before?
Got one of these for a lefty?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Got one of these for a lefty?
Mirror image it.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Mirror image it.
Sorry, half asleep, I should have caught that....

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere