Need help finding an ambi 9mm w/22lr conversion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help finding an ambi 9mm w/22lr conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help finding an ambi 9mm w/22lr conversion

I'm looking to find my first handgun to purchase and have been scouring the Internet trying to find out which guns meet the criteria I have. Mainly I'm looking for something left-handed friendly and that offers a 22lr replacement slide since I've only just learned to shoot I'm expecting to need a lot of range time and ammunition. Luckily my local range will rent you any gun before you buy it, so I'm open to most any suggestion because I'll be able to try it before I decide if that extra $500+ is worth it for a big name. Here's what I'm looking for:

Semi-auto not revolver
Full size (not concerned with carry)
9mm (this is somewhat loose as I plan to shoot a lot of 22 to start)
Can be converted to 22lr
Ambidextrous (minimum safety, preferably everything)

So far I'm aware of the following guns that fit my criteria:
Glock 17
S&W 1911 (45 not 9mm)
CZ 85
CZ 75 SP-01 (not sure exactly how ambi it is)

Thanks for any help expanding my list.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 245 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 31

First off, let me preface this by stating that I am a right-handed CZ nut. So consider me "biased".

Just a week or so ago, I almost bought this gun (EAA Witness 9mm/22lr). According to my research, it's a tremendous gun for the money. EAA makes CZ clones, and pretty darn good ones. So you're getting a very good 9mm handgun that's probably worth the $450 pricetag (after transfer) on its own. Then you get an adequate rimfire setup to boot.

You might find a gun that better suits your needs if you spend a few hundred more. But I doubt a superior 9mm/22lr combo package exists for under $600.

So the question is, is using your left trigger finger to operate the controls worth the amount of gun you'll get for the money here? Only you can determine that, but I'd advise at least investigating this option.

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-19-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Just a week or so ago, I almost bought this gun (EAA Witness 9mm/22lr). According to my research, it's a tremendous gun for the money. EAA makes CZ clones, and pretty darn good ones. So you're getting a very good 9mm handgun that's probably worth the $450 pricetag (after transfer) on its own. Then you get an adequate rimfire setup to boot.
So it's more or less a duplicate of the CZ 75? I've read a bit about the CZ 85 being ambi and it seems like some things on the CZ 75 SP-01 are ambi, but I'm not exactly sure what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
So the question is, is using your left trigger finger to operate the controls worth the amount of gun you'll get for the money here? Only you can determine that, but I'd advise at least investigating this option.
In the lesson/safety class I took I was strongly encouraged to pick a gun I would not need to undo any part of my grip to operate. That said, I was shooting a S&W 1911 with a 22lr slide on it. The safety was the only ambidextrous part on the gun. I found I was very glad it had that feature and didn't really mind using my right middle or pointer finger to release the magazine when it was emptied.