Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help to decide glock 19 or xd-9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help to decide glock 19 or xd-9

Hi guys, I'm planning to get a 9mm handgun I'm down to Glock 19 and XD-9 I couldn't decide between the two. I currently own a Glock 22 (Full size 40S&W)
I've shot both XD-9 and Glock 19 both felt really good in my hands. actually my first handgun is a XD-40 I never had any problem with it. then I sold it to my friend so I can get the Glock 22. I love it and will never get rid of it. but now that I wanna get a 9mm, I can't decide between the two. Please let me know with your opinions. if you know some advantage and disadvantage of each gun, please let me know. I really couldn't decide.

Thanks in advance,

Aron

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You ask a good question, and you'll get many variations of answers.

Here's my variation:

Personally, I choose the Springfield XD9 for these reasons:

1. Quality. Once you take apart both firearms and compare them to each other, it is obvious that the Springfield design has a little more thought put into it. The internals are slightly bulkier (which adds strength), and the internals are thought out well. The internals of the Glock brand are serviceable, and well thought out also, but they are a little "cheap" for a 600 dollar firearm (I have the same internals on my S&W Sigma .40, which is a 300 dollar firearm).

2. Barrel. I am not a big fan of polygonal barrels on anything other than surplus firearms (i.e. CZ-82 9x18mm). The polygonal design is a good way to save money during production, but I believe it draws the quality of the weapon down a touch.

3. Grip Angle. I am a big 1911 fan, and I love the grip angle of that weapon. Glocks just don't do it for me. The angle almost makes me have to make an effort to stay on target. The XD is much more natural in my hands. The change of angles between the two isn't a whole lot, but it's enough.

4. Grip Safety. Many people will argue that the grip safety is un-needed. Many of those same people will also make the statement "My trigger finger is my safety." I only ask two questions. How many times has a grip safety failed? How many times has the "trigger finger" safety failed?

5. Price. For the most part, the Springfield XD is going to be cheaper than a Glock 19. In this day and age, you cannot go wrong with purchasing a top motch firearm for less money. Take the money you save, and purchase some extra rounds to begin practice with.

Remember, these are just my opinions, and you know the saying "Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one."

Both sidearms will serve you well. Choose the one that best fits you, and take care of it well.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally am an XD fan. I've got 2 a 4" 45 and a sub compact 9, love them both. The XD's feel better to me and I like the added grip safety. Pick whichever one feels best to you and whichever one you shoot best. Glocks just feel fat and bulky to me, so I don't own one. Plus if I was aiming for your face I'd hit you in the knees.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #4

Personally id say go with a Sig p226 9mm, but in the range you are looking, definately go with the XD. The ergonomics to me are much better, and i am also a fan of the 1911 so the grip feel and natural point is a plus. Ive had too many bad experiences with Glocks to even wana get into that subject.

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

Go with what fits YOUR hand better and you shoot better. Have you taken either out to the range yet? Whatever you are more consistent with and can make those great followup shots with, stick to it.

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own a Glock 19 and am fond of it.

I also made a decision between the XD and the Glock. My decision for the glock was one based off of simplicity of use. I felt that the XD had more 'bells and whistles' on it that I needed for my first pistol.

In retrospect, I'd have saved my money, and purchased a Kimber......

Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #7

Default My choice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm091385 View Post
Hi guys, I'm planning to get a 9mm handgun I'm down to Glock 19 and XD-9 I couldn't decide between the two. I currently own a Glock 22 (Full size 40S&W)
I've shot both XD-9 and Glock 19 both felt really good in my hands. actually my first handgun is a XD-40 I never had any problem with it. then I sold it to my friend so I can get the Glock 22. I love it and will never get rid of it. but now that I wanna get a 9mm, I can't decide between the two. Please let me know with your opinions. if you know some advantage and disadvantage of each gun, please let me know. I really couldn't decide.

Thanks in advance,

Aron
I had the 19, but wanted something with a little more power behind it. Give the Glock 23 (compact .40) a try. BTW, I gave up my 23 for an M&P 40. Both are sweet. Just wanted something new...

After a quick re-read, it sounds like you have odd-sized hands! The 22 is the full-size .40, so the 23 may be too small. You might want the 17 (full-size 9mm) instead of the 19 (compact 9mm).

My former sis-in-law carried the 17 - she had big hands! Bigger than mine!

Do you intend to carry concealed? If so, then (IMHO) you gotta go with one of the compacts.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently did the same comparison last week before getting a glock 26.

the glock 19 is smaller than the xd-9 compact. it fits your hand the same but takes up less room.

they weigh pretty similarly

i prefer the trigger on the glock but thats personal.

the xd feels top heavy to me compared to the glock...once again, personal.

the glock feels like its better made, especially the magazine. although both have a great reputation for reliability so that might just be subjective feelings also.

at the end of the day you are getting a great gun either way. Go check them out, see which one you like more. if you cant decide, get the glock cause it takes up less room.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Glock 19 minus the word Glock equals 19.

Take the number 11 and put it behind the number 19, and you have your answer to your problems.

....nuff said.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like you narrowed down your choice, If I had to chose I'd pick the XD but I'd like to offer up another choice. The S&W M&P, it is a far better pistol than either.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.