Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help to decide on a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
No not carry. If you open the slide and drop a round directly into the chamber by and and then close the slide, load the full mag into the frame. That is what the +1 means so you have a full mag and +1 in the chamber.
Yeah, I know what it means. I just mentioned carry because it's pretty much the only time I have need of a full mag and a chambered round. Both my Kimbers and both my Colts have internal extractors, and firing a chambered round with a full magazine is a non-issue.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Okay then that settles that.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #23

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
No not carry. If you open the slide and drop a round directly into the chamber by and and then close the slide, load the full mag into the frame. That is what the +1 means so you have a full mag and +1 in the chamber. I have hearad that with and internal extractor, the extractor will not lacth over the end of the casing so in you fire the gun the case will not be ejected from the chamber. Wit an external extractor you can just oush in the end of the extractor and the "hook" will grab onto the casing so when the gun is fired the case will eject as normal.
OK - here is the deal...
What you are describing is not advisable with any 1911 handgun to my knowledge (internal or external extractor).

Will it "work" (ie...will the empty case eject after firing) - yes it will work. But dropping a round directly into the firing chamber and then slamming the slide shut causes the extractor undo stress because as the slide slams shut it causes the extractor to bend/stretch over the rim of the case.

No matter what the reason for putting an extra round in the chamber - you always-always-always want to load your mag and then insert the mag in the pistol with the slide back (at slide lock). Then rack or release the slide lock allowing the slide to move forward and push a live round into the chamber. When doing this, be careful of keeping your finger off the trigger and then immediatly engage your thumb saftey. After you have done this, push the mag release button and remove the mag from the gun. Then, "top off" the mag with one extra round and replace the mag in the gun.

This is the proper proceedure. This is how the operation of the gun and the extractor was designed to work. Dropping a round into the chamber by hand is never recommended. It will work but you will eventually have an extractor failure. I do not own a 1911 with an external extractor but the reason (to me) is simply one of aesthetics or looks. Both types of extractors work and perform the same way.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16

What in the hell are you talking about? The ejector in a hunk of metal on the left side of the frame that when the empty case hits it flys out of the gun. Are you talking about the extractor? cause I don't think that you can bend the ejector without serousli f---ing up your gun.
Its you magazine anyway, change out the mags with Wilson Combat 47Ds and make sure the barrel does not have any oil build up in the chamber that the case is sticking to. also sounds like the recoil spring may not have the right tension. go get another one of those too for $15. Before you do any work on the internal parts of your gun, always do some test to see if they need adjustments. ther are ways you can test these parts first, look on line fror extrator testing. If you type in Ejector tests that a whole differnt ball game. the mags are always the first thimg taht you replace before you start altering a gun esspecialy a 1911 they can be very picky about what mags they like.
YES, it was the Extractor!!! Thanks and I will try a different mag and springs...

Kimber CDPII Custom Shop 45
S&W M&P 9
Ruger LC9
Ruger LCR 357 Mag.
S&W 686 Stainless 357 Mag.
Dan Wesson 357 mag
Seacamp 32
Browning Buckmark Plus 22
High Standard Duramatic 101
Baretta 950 c 22 short

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
Both types of extractors work and perform the same way.
Okay, I do know how to use a firearm. The extractors do not operate the same way. You do not slam the slide shut when loading a round my hand into the chamber. With an external extractor, when you close the slide, you then push on the opposite end of the extractor and the buisness end of the extractor will engage the casing. You never want to "slam an extractor onto a casing, you will break the extractor. With an internal extractor I do not think you can do this operation. There is no way to gently engage the extractor. That is what I was getting at.

I do know that when a round is in the chamber to engage the safety unless you are ready to fire and have the muzzle of the weapon pointing at the target you wish to shoot. See i am not a total nimrod after all.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Okay, I do know how to use a firearm. The extractors do not operate the same way. You do not slam the slide shut when loading a round my hand into the chamber. With an external extractor, when you close the slide, you then push on the opposite end of the extractor and the buisness end of the extractor will engage the casing. You never want to "slam an extractor onto a casing, you will break the extractor. With an internal extractor I do not think you can do this operation. There is no way to gently engage the extractor. That is what I was getting at.

I do know that when a round is in the chamber to engage the safety unless you are ready to fire and have the muzzle of the weapon pointing at the target you wish to shoot. See i am not a total nimrod after all.
I never said - nor implied that your were anything....
However, the only time that you have been a complete ass is with this last post.
I was trying to help - you know, since you were posting & asking questions.
Forget it - I'm done.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
I never said - nor implied that your were anything....
However, the only time that you have been a complete ass is with this last post.
I was trying to help - you know, since you were posting & asking questions.
Forget it - I'm done.
I apperciate the advise. I was not striking back for any reason. I was asking questions about certain 1911s not asking for how-to's.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #28

It's all good (I did not mean to be so touchy either)...
Hope that you find the gun you are looking for.
Those E-series S&W's look really nice to me!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
No not carry. If you open the slide and drop a round directly into the chamber by and and then close the slide, load the full mag into the frame. That is what the +1 means so you have a full mag and +1 in the chamber. I have hearad that with and internal extractor, the extractor will not lacth over the end of the casing so in you fire the gun the case will not be ejected from the chamber. Wit an external extractor you can just oush in the end of the extractor and the "hook" will grab onto the casing so when the gun is fired the case will eject as normal.
I'm not sure about it, but I did carry mine +1. But I will say I just chambered one then dropped the mag and added another. I never did a single drop in.
Also, you are correct about the external extractor function. You could (or can) do the drop in with an external, however I never did. And I agree on the loss of quality from Kimber over the years, which on top of the FTE issues I had experienced pushed me over to the Sig for my EDC. I'm sure you'll end up with a great looking gun either way, but I like you want it to look and function at the same level. As I had said, I lost my confidence in them for their price point when the custom went away other than in name.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 02-09-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
As I had said, I lost my confidence in them for their price point when the custom went away other than in name.
That is what I was looking to hear. Something honest from a real owner of Kimber. I want the gun to perform AND look good. I have looked at the Sigs. I have not found one that comes with night sights, at least one that is legal in CA. Judging by the recent turn of events, nothing with a magazine is going to be legal here soon is the Butt heads get their way. I guess I should worry about saving my money and getting the hell out of CA. The bad thing about that though is I am not sure my fiance will want to leave too. I guess I need to decide which is more important, her or my right to be a free American. I do love her but I love my freedom as an American too. I just hope that she feels the same way. Maybe AZ would be okay or maybe not she does not like the heat. she hates TX and there is not really a whole lot of work for me in WY or Montana. CO is becoming a crack down state as well. AK would be nice if I could do the cold and the midnight sun along with the 24 hour nights.