Need help to decide on a 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help to decide on a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I've not owned the S&W 1911. I can't tell you anything about it. But I can say I've owned quite a few of their other products and still have a few in the current lineup. I've seen them in the case, handled a couple over the years. I think that the warranty alone expresses to me that they are more confident in their product. Also, the mags, you are right. The Kimber comes with one Kimber 7 round mag. I used a couple of the Wilson Combat 8 round units with mine. They were $32 each. Knowing what I do now, I just wouldn't be willing to pay the premium for something that no longer does what made it a premium product in the beginning. Plus it's really hard to go wrong with S&W

GP
Thanks for that. That does make sense. Kimber did make a great gun and I am sure they still do. But it seems like they are more in it for the money and the profit now instead of a quality product, doesn't it. If you were to pay between $1K to $4K for a gun i would think that you would want a great gun with great mags, finish, parts, etc intead of the bare minimum to operate the product, don't you think? The S&W does not come with 2 mags, it comes with 3 mags and 2 recoil springs. a light one for compitition and a heavier one for more powerfull loads like the +p rounds.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I have a CDP II , During the first 200 rounds it started having Fail to ejects every 4 or 5 shots. I was using Winchester white box ammo. I switched to the cheep Federal ammo and the same result. The ejector was not pulling the shell out of the chamber. I removed the ejector and put a slight more bend in it.

Kimber CDPII Custom Shop 45
S&W M&P 9
Ruger LC9
Ruger LCR 357 Mag.
S&W 686 Stainless 357 Mag.
Dan Wesson 357 mag
Seacamp 32
Browning Buckmark Plus 22
High Standard Duramatic 101
Baretta 950 c 22 short

Last edited by sbrit56880; 02-08-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 341 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 113

+1 for the Raptor. I really like mine.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrit56880
I have a CDP II , During the first 200 rounds it started having Fail to ejects every 4 or 5 shots. I was using Winchester white box ammo. I switched to the cheep Federal ammo and the same result. The ejector was not pulling the shell out of the chamber. I removed the ejector and put a slight more bend in it, same result only in addition to th
Sorry,,,, in addition to the non ejection from the chamber I had an occasional stove pipe.. I switched to Speer lawman ammo and it shot fine, it did well with blazer brass also... I sent it back to the factory and after 5 weeks got it back. It seems ok now.

Kimber CDPII Custom Shop 45
S&W M&P 9
Ruger LC9
Ruger LCR 357 Mag.
S&W 686 Stainless 357 Mag.
Dan Wesson 357 mag
Seacamp 32
Browning Buckmark Plus 22
High Standard Duramatic 101
Baretta 950 c 22 short

Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrit56880 View Post
I have a CDP II , During the first 200 rounds it started having Fail to ejects every 4 or 5 shots. I was using Winchester white box ammo. I switched to the cheep Federal ammo and the same result. The ejector was not pulling the shell out of the chamber. I removed the ejector and put a slight more bend in it, same result only in addition to th
What in the hell are you talking about? The ejector in a hunk of metal on the left side of the frame that when the empty case hits it flys out of the gun. Are you talking about the extractor? cause I don't think that you can bend the ejector without serousli f---ing up your gun.
Its you magazine anyway, change out the mags with Wilson Combat 47Ds and make sure the barrel does not have any oil build up in the chamber that the case is sticking to. also sounds like the recoil spring may not have the right tension. go get another one of those too for $15. Before you do any work on the internal parts of your gun, always do some test to see if they need adjustments. ther are ways you can test these parts first, look on line fror extrator testing. If you type in Ejector tests that a whole differnt ball game. the mags are always the first thimg taht you replace before you start altering a gun esspecialy a 1911 they can be very picky about what mags they like.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
+1 for the Raptor. I really like mine.
I am leaning more towards S&W 1911TA e series now. I like the fact that it comes with 3 mags and has a Lifetime warranty vs kimber that has a 1 year warrany and 1 POS mag that does not work half the time.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 341 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
I am leaning more towards S&W 1911TA e series now. I like the fact that it comes with 3 mags and has a Lifetime warranty vs kimber that has a 1 year warrany and 1 POS mag that does not work half the time.
I understand and of course, to each his own but, I've bought 7 Kimbers since the early 90's, shot them all a lot over the years and not one has ever been back to Yonkers for repair so far. Enjoy the S&W, it's a good one too.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
I understand and of course, to each his own but, I've bought 7 Kimbers since the early 90's, shot them all a lot over the years and not one has ever been back to Yonkers for repair so far. Enjoy the S&W, it's a good one too.
I am not positive yet. The S&W does have the features that I want. The Stainless barrel, Night Sights, Checkered FS, good finish that I don't have to be super careful with, good quality mags etc. I have owned S&Ws befoire and put 30K rounds thru in under 2 years and never had ant problems with it. The Raptor have most of the features I want exceppt for the mags and the warranty but the design on the slide is annoying, it looks like a toy pistol. almost. I do npot know what I am going to get and that is why I am here. UI would like someone to tell me a little about the S&W besides they are neat. I know that Kimbers need that break in time and I have nevr had an internal extractor. I heard they are not a +1 gun. Like a S&W is a 8+1 gun. So I can load a mag and drop one in the chamber then load the mag and have 9 rounds or 10+1 or whatever.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 150 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
I heard they are not a +1 gun. Like a S&W is a 8+1 gun. So I can load a mag and drop one in the chamber then load the mag and have 9 rounds or 10+1 or whatever.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's false, you can certainly carry a Kimber with one in the chamber just like every other 1911. Do Kimber lawyers advise you to do this? Probably not. Doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's false, you can certainly carry a Kimber with one in the chamber just like every other 1911. Do Kimber lawyers advise you to do this? Probably not. Doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't.
No not carry. If you open the slide and drop a round directly into the chamber by and and then close the slide, load the full mag into the frame. That is what the +1 means so you have a full mag and +1 in the chamber. I have hearad that with and internal extractor, the extractor will not lacth over the end of the casing so in you fire the gun the case will not be ejected from the chamber. Wit an external extractor you can just oush in the end of the extractor and the "hook" will grab onto the casing so when the gun is fired the case will eject as normal.