Need help choosing primary CCW pistol for wife.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help choosing primary CCW pistol for wife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help choosing primary CCW pistol for wife.

A brief synopsis of why this is becoming such a chore for me, that I'm turning to you, my friends, for help:

My wife is an big girl, standing 6 ft tall. Her hands are as big as mine, but proportioned differently (me - big palm, shorter fingers, her - smaller palm, longer fingers,) so that my Sig P220 (Which fits my hand like it was built just for me!) is too broad for her. She likes the way my S&W mod 14 with a 6 inch barrel handles, but due to her Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, the gun is just too barrel heavy for her, resulting in only about 12 accurate shots on the range before her wrists become too unsteady to support accurate shooting.

We're going to be taking our CCW course within the next few weeks, and I would like to get her her CCW weapon before (if not soon after) we become licensed. She's now talking about getting a .22 LR as her primary CCW gun, and this just has me gritting my teeth, thinking that if she ever really needs this gun, it may fail her, and I might be wifeless. On the other hand, I understand her thinking - they're light weight, and light recoil, which would enable her to get rounds accurately on target. But I just can't wrap my head around a .22 LR (or even a .22 magnum) being a primary CCW gun. I had thought to get her a Beretta 92 in 9mm, but I now find myself wondering if something like a snubby .38, ported to help reduce recoil, might better fit her need.

Suggestions? And thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #2

She may be better off talking with other women on this topic. If i may suggest Groupee Login in the womens self defense forum. Hope it helps.

Jay

Last edited by jaygibson; 03-03-2009 at 04:26 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

She is going to have to go to a gun range and try a bunch of guns. The ideal light weight .38 SPL is the new Ruger LCR. They won't be available until later this month. I plan on adding one to my collection...

Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1911 in .38 Super or 9x19.

Honestly though, the best advice is to have her shoot everything she can rent or borrow to see what fits her best and what load she can shoot effectively.

Right now, I'm in a battle with my wife over her getting a 1911 in 9x19 over the Sig 226 that she wants.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The fact that she has carpal tunnel pretty much dictates a revolver as her wrists likely won't allow her to rack the slide on an semi-auto. let her look at the different .38s and see which fits her. Another cartridge to consider is the new .327 mag. Just because a semi-auto fits her hand, that don't mean she can load/unload/clear a malfunction,etc due to her lack of usable hand strength. That being said, I recently got my wife a S&W model 442 airweight DAO, and installed a Wolff spring kit to reduce felt trigger pull weight by 40%. it likely would be too small for your wife though but let her try all the different guns she can for fit. Naturally any gun beats a rock, and the bigger/more powerful the cartridge it is, will make IT more effective but may be too strong recoiling for your wife to be effective with it.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Just got this for the little wifey... she not little

Great gun very accurate easy to rack mild recoil good looking and with the right SD ammo plenty of stopping power if placed correctly one really nice thing is the price, check out the Bersa Thunder.380

Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ironhorse - Take her to the gun store so she can find a weapon that fits her both in grip, design and caliber. Then enroll her in a good CCW course at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch where they teach good defensive pistol tactics. Make it a vacation getaway!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #8

If a .22 is what she wants, get her a .22

Any gun is better than no gun.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default What size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quis custodiet View Post
If a .22 is what she wants, get her a .22

Any gun is better than no gun.
Quis, your right. Another thought have her try a Beretta 3032 TomCat in her hands for size. Yes, I know it is a SMALL caliber, but with Hydra-shocks, it sure beats throwing rocks. With the tip-up barrel, on this little .32 cal.weapon, she won't have to worry about racking the slide. I have one of these that is always in my back pocket. I believe that Taurus also makes a look-alike for less $$ By the way Welcome to the Forum Ironhorse+speak up

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 03-04-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Welcome in

Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #10

Ironhorse,
If you dont mind me asking, which state are you in?

Jay