Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Need help with choosing my first pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/need-help-choosing-my-first-pistol-31296/)

southpaw41 09-03-2010 11:12 PM

Need help with choosing my first pistol

Hi Iím new to the board and would like your input on choosing my first pistol. Applied for my concealment permit two weeks ago so should be receiving it fairly soon. The gun will be used for the range and personal/home defense. I donít intend on carrying the pistol much unless I know I will be going to a bad area. Iíve hunted and been around firearms my whole life so I have some knowledge on the subject matter. After some research and thought here is what Iíve narrowed my choices down toÖ

Ruger GP100 KGP-141
Rugerģ GP100ģ Double-Action Revolver Models

S&W Model 686
Product: Model 686

S&W Model SW1911(probably 9mm)

Baretta PX4 Storm(probably 9mm)

Right now Iím leaning towards the SW 686 because I hear revolvers are nice beginner guns. My dad has a Ruger 44 magnum and I like it except it is not practical to carry because of its barrel length (and itís scoped). Also it seems revolvers are much easier to maintain than the semiís.

General-Logic 09-03-2010 11:33 PM

GP100
Easy to care for, reliable and powerful enough without being a bone shaker.

Mr. Bluesky 09-04-2010 12:30 AM

The Ruger will, generally speaking, be less expensive and just as good as the Smith. A GP100 with 4" barrel will do just about anything, and last long enough for your great-grandkids to shoot it.

ScottA 09-04-2010 02:15 AM

Like all the choices, but Baretta would be last choice.

My first choice would be the 1911. Just a great design. More concealable than the revolvers, and more rounds. And you'll shoot a lot more 9mm for the money.

General_lee 09-04-2010 02:33 AM

I would go with the Ruger if you don't think you're quite ready for a semi-auto.
If you're ready to go with semi-auto, get the 1911. If you go with 1911, I would recommend getting it in .45acp instead of 9mm. While not as cheap to shoot as 9mm, the .45 is a well loved round with very good stopping power, and it's what the 1911 was originally designed for.

ScottA 09-04-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 344153)
... if you don't think you're quite ready for a semi-auto.

What does that even mean? :confused:

General_lee 09-04-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 344282)
What does that even mean? :confused:

The OP mentioned that revolvers are nice beginner guns, which is true,
They are simple to operate.
If the OP doesn't have any experience with semi auto, something like a 1911 might take some getting used to.

First handgun I ever shot was a revolver, I didn't need any instruction besides basic safety.
First semi-auto pistol I ever shot, my dad had to SHOW me how to work the dern thing. I'm just sayin'.

ScottA 09-04-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWGaryM (Post 344344)
A revolver is very easy for a new shooter, requires far less care and maintenance, can sit for years untouched and will still shoot, will not jam....

Now you've gone and done it. Everybody duck. INCOMING!!!

southpaw41 09-05-2010 12:40 AM

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I'm definately leaning towards the revolvers after reading your comments. I'm gonna have to go to a range/shop to take a close look at both the Ruger and SW to see which I like better. I assume I will have a preference for one over the other.

I should have been more specific in my initial post I do have some experience with semi's. I have shot various 22 caliber semi's and a 9mm. Nothing bigger than a 9mm though. So I do know how to operate them but have no idea what the break down and maintenance is like. The SW 1911's are so nice I definately want to check those out before I purchase.

danf_fl 09-05-2010 12:49 AM

Send a note to CA357. I think he has one FS on the board.