Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > need help choosing a first pistol for concealed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default need help choosing a first pistol for concealed

So im getting ready to buy my first pistol and get my concealed permit and ive been looking at different pistols.. Ive looked at the springfield xd series and the s&w m&p series but im open to suggestions.. Only interested in 9mm's so. My price range is around 400-500$.. So suggest ahead and i want as many opinions on different handguns as possible

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the Introduction section sometime.

Check out the threads in the section of FTF dedicated to CC.:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/

Choosing a handgun is often compared to choosing a comfortable pair of shoes, you have to find what fits you, cost, size, material, etc.

What is your experience level with handguns?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Choosing a handgun is often compared to choosing a comfortable pair of shoes, you have to find what fits you, cost, size, material, etc.
Great comparison. If you get it right it's like a part of your body, and if you get it wrong it's a giant pain.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronghand93 View Post
So im getting ready to buy my first pistol and get my concealed permit and ive been looking at different pistols.. Ive looked at the springfield xd series and the s&w m&p series but im open to suggestions.. Only interested in 9mm's so. My price range is around 400-500$.. So suggest ahead and i want as many opinions on different handguns as possible
A lot of people fail to mention this, but it's something everyone should consider when choosing a concealed carry firearm. Can you hide it under the clothes you already have?

Your closet is full of clothes you feel comfortable in. You may change your wardrobe to fit the gun in the beginning, but trust me, you will go back to what you like to wear. Save yourself some time and money. Get something that you can hide under the clothes you wear now.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Look into the ruger SR9c.. I have one at my parents house in florida and it's my first ccw of mine. Once I got it with the de santis holster in the right spot it was like i didn't have anything on at all.. Was able to squat to the floor and even run in it and it never bothered me.. Shot 150 rds first though it and 149 hit the med sized human paper target at about 15 yards. ( the one flyer was all my fault) lol.. I got mine for 420 at lgs in fl. But I did see them at a gun show down there for 379-399.. It Also comes with a speed loader to help your thumbs out and a 10 and 17rd mag!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Liked 1765 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Kahr makes some very nice pistols. I have a CM9. It is a sub-compact 9mm. It holds 6 in the mag and one in the pipe. It is a very accurate gun for its size. It is not uncomfortable to shoot. Mine was $399.00. Remember when you buy a gun, the gun is not your only expense. You will need to buy a good holster. And you will want a good belt. Don't use a Walmart belt. They don't sell gun belts. Don't even look. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. It does not bend with the weight of a heavy gun. You can only get away with a cheap belt if it is a super light gun. You will also need a couple hundred rounds of self defense ammo. I will not carry a gun that has not been shot 150-200 times without a problem from the ammo in it.

My Kahr can be carried on a belt in a holster. But I carry it in a pocket holster in my front pocket.

002.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

therukh Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Kahr makes some very nice pistols. I have a CM9. It is a sub-compact 9mm. It holds 6 in the mag and one in the pipe. It is a very accurate gun for its size. It is not uncomfortable to shoot. Mine was $399.00. Remember when you buy a gun, the gun is not your only expense. You will need to buy a good holster. And you will want a good belt. Don't use a Walmart belt. They don't sell gun belts. Don't even look. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. It does not bend with the weight of a heavy gun. You can only get away with a cheap belt if it is a super light gun. You will also need a couple hundred rounds of self defense ammo. I will not carry a gun that has not been shot 150-200 times without a problem from the ammo in it.

My Kahr can be carried on a belt in a holster. But I carry it in a pocket holster in my front pocket.
Ditto. I carry a Kahr PM9 everyday.

The videos in this thread may help:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I'm new to carrying also. My first suggestion is "think small" - that is physically small. There are several semi-auto's that are less than 1" thick which is good.

9mm is fine. There are lots of small guns that are available in 9mm. After carrying for the past 2 days a full size is a bit much and I would suggest avoiding if possible. It is the only pistol I have so it will be my carry for now. I would love a S&W M&P Shield 9MM or Ruger SP101 .357. Just MHO.

I do want to carry IWB but that takes a different holster than I have so for now it's OWB only for me.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 02-01-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default First Carry Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Ditto. I carry a Kahr PM9 everyday.
I, too, carry a PM9 everyday and am glad to have it. I spent several years looking for an all black PM9 with factory night sights and when I found it, I latched onto it and won't let go. This was after carrying all manner of pistols and revolvers for several decades
I must say that the advice of the other posters here is spot on. I would further suggest going to a range/gun store where you can rent different guns and try them on premises and get a feel for the different guns you might want...all those you listed and others too.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

It really should come down to fit and feel for you. That said, I will also give a thumbs up to the Kahr line of pistols. I have a CM9 and absolutely love it. Somewhere north of 500 rounds through it without a single issue. Love the trigger and the size of this gun.

Now there really is no substitute, though, for trying out a gun prior to purchase. Many ranges rent guns and if not the least you can do is handle a few different guns to see how they feel.

Good advice above on the concealability issue in regard to your wardrobe.

Good luck!

Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
Ruger SR22