Need help with ccw gun or position choice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help with ccw gun or position choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Found one locally!

02/21/2010 — KIMBER 45, Pro Carry II,
Excellent cond. $650.
Call 501-303-8580

Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

To the OP - buy looser fit pants. To carry IWB you can't wear skin tight britches and you have to basically dress around the gun...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
It's not like everyone can keep every firearm they will ever own,always and forever. .
I plan to.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I carry a Glock 30, and I used to carry a Glock 23 (same size as your G19). I personally carry OWB and have no trouble concealing with an untucked, button-down shirt. If you're going to carry IWB, remember that the G30 is wider than the G19.

It's possible you are overly worried about printing. If you ask someone who knows you well and knows you are carrying, they will always be able to spot it. The average person on the street isn't going to look at you long, isn't consciously scanning you for a firearm, and doesn't know you well enough to know what you look like when you aren't carrying.

It's perfectly natural to feel like you're going to glow in the dark — and in daylight — when you first start carrying. Pretty much everybody feels that way at first. Once you get your permit and walk around armed for a little while, you'll realize that people won't notice.

Now, with all that said, you might want to take Gojubrian's advice and go after your dream gun. You have a gun now that you like and will serve you well. Depending on prices in your area, the money that you would spend on a new Glock will get you more than halfway to the dream gun you mentioned. If you save up a bit more, you can have your dream .45 in a more concealable package.

If you are going after a dream gun, read LOTS of reviews. And do your absolute best to find a way to shoot one before you buy.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Thank you guys so much for your advice. I guess I am worried about being found out lol.. I have a 34" waist and I wear Loose but not baggy 38" jeans with the holster so that's not an issue... The real "problem" is my shirts. I work out hard at the gym and I'm pretty muscular so I like to wear form fitting shirts. If I wore large shirts or 2 etc, I wouldn't even use IWB. It's kinda frustrating me that my $90 holster doesn't work as well as a $10 clip lol... I am a single dude who makes decent cash for my area so I have no problem paying full pop for a Kimber, I just don't want to invest without shooting it to compare to the Glock 30...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #16

I don't like google cuz it keeps coming up with bad reviews of the 1911. Basically the gist of it is The Kimber is an amazingly slim and accurate 1911, BUT only if you replace almost everything with custom parts... :-( What the hell? It looks awesome, best concealing 45 and accurate. Anyone have a small 1911 that can give me the real heads-up on what I'm gonna have to layout (parts or cash) to be as combat ready as possible

Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I found the G30 a bit wide for my taste. I carry the Kahr K9 steel frame daily IWB behind the hip. It disappears and no one notices.

Recent 1911 convert that I am with a sweet little Custom II, I am saving for the Pro Carry also. Got to shoot one from a fellow range member and loved it.

I say save

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have a G19, but I do own 3 G30SF's. They are extremely accurate, soft shooting even with Fed HST 230gr +P's. I use a Smart Carry to carry 2 of them at a time. I've also used a belly band to conceal carry under a loose shirt, so you might want to look into that as a method.
Love my G30's, so I'm sure you would too. Not much more comforting than 11rounds of big fat 45ACP's.
Good luck and always stay safe.

NRA
GT (Member of Bull Dawgs Club/Big Dawgs Club)
GSSF
USCCA
DC
PAFOA
DEF. HANDGUNS
AMERICAN GUN OWNERS
CONCEALED CARRY
*Concealed means...Concealed!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
Thank you guys so much for your advice. I guess I am worried about being found out lol.. I have a 34" waist and I wear Loose but not baggy 38" jeans with the holster so that's not an issue... The real "problem" is my shirts. I work out hard at the gym and I'm pretty muscular so I like to wear form fitting shirts. If I wore large shirts or 2 etc, I wouldn't even use IWB. It's kinda frustrating me that my $90 holster doesn't work as well as a $10 clip lol... I am a single dude who makes decent cash for my area so I have no problem paying full pop for a Kimber, I just don't want to invest without shooting it to compare to the Glock 30...
I expect I'm twice your age, 6'-2" 210# in good shape. If you want to carry your going to have give up your vainity, the tight shirt might work to draw in the ladies? but it won't cover a firearm. I've carried for 15 years and dress well enough to get the attention but not print my firearm. I've never seen a good $10 holster for consealed carry, if there was I would own it in a heartbeat. If you have one that works please share the info!

Take some time at a range that rents I bet you can find a few that rents Kimbers and Glocks then make your choice.

I don't own either, I carry a S&W M&P 45 and it fits my cloths well in a quality holster. If I had to choose between a Kimber or a Glock it would be an easy choice, The Kimber is by far a better firearm IMHO.

Good luck, let us know what you buy and how you carry it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 02-25-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #20

Well I tried the belly band deal and it actually works really well.. Thing is, damn thing makes me sweat within 5 min lol...