Need help with ccw gun or position choice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Need help with ccw gun or position choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Need help with ccw gun or position choice

Okay so I spent today shooting 2 different glocks. 30, and 26... I have the 19 which is my primary ccw (as soon as I get the damn card)... The 19 is "ok" but not great in the concealment dept and many here have helped me realize I probably don't "need" the 26 as a t-shirt/shorts carry,but anyone bored enough to share experiences with any of these models? The 30 was so damned awesome, and I LOVE the idea of carrying a 45, but it provides no benefit in concealment over my 19. My dream gun (lol dream cuz I can't find one to shoot but it appears awesome) is a Kimber Pro Carry 2 45. Only reason I'm even having this dilemma is I have to carry my 19 at almost 6 o clock to conceal it and I can barely reach it to draw. I've tested different places with my girlfriend and she can pretty much spot it no matter where I move the holster. The gun itself does not print at all, it's the bottom of the holster bulging through my jeans on my ass. I have an MTAC IWB holster which is very comfortable and holds the weapon well... Please advise a noob. I don't want to leave my house thinking everyone knows I'm carrying...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I carry a Glock 30 quite a bit. I never found a holster I was comfortable with. They all seem to have the gun riding up too high against my ribcage and having it concealed properly is an issue so I don't use a holster. I carry my gun tucked on my right side, inside the waistband of the pants or shorts I'm wearing, and my shirt hanging out . The gun is heavy so I have to wear a belt when carrying this way. I have a S&W mod 37 I carry that way also.

Another reason for carrying in the waistband, is if the gun is holstered I don't have to jerk my shirt halfway to my neck to unholster, my way, the shirt comes up with the natural movement of your hand reaching to pull the gun out. A lot less noticeable to bystanders or a bad guy.

A quick note, when I lived in Mich., I most often used a Galco shoulder holster in the winter when wearing a jacket.

There are some that will say that it's dangerous or stupid to carry that way but I've been doing it that way with other handguns since 1972 when I first started carrying.

I'm not telling you to carry the way I do but If you have a mind to try at home, make sure your G-19 is unloaded then put it in your waistband while you are doing things around the house. Bend over, jerk sideways, jog in your back yard, etc. Do this over and over until you feel confident with carrying that way, or if not, you can always go back to the holster search.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
Okay so I spent today shooting 2 different glocks. 30, and 26... I have the 19 which is my primary ccw (as soon as I get the damn card)... The 19 is "ok" but not great in the concealment dept and many here have helped me realize I probably don't "need" the 26 as a t-shirt/shorts carry,but anyone bored enough to share experiences with any of these models? The 30 was so damned awesome, and I LOVE the idea of carrying a 45, but it provides no benefit in concealment over my 19. My dream gun (lol dream cuz I can't find one to shoot but it appears awesome) is a Kimber Pro Carry 2 45. Only reason I'm even having this dilemma is I have to carry my 19 at almost 6 o clock to conceal it and I can barely reach it to draw. I've tested different places with my girlfriend and she can pretty much spot it no matter where I move the holster. The gun itself does not print at all, it's the bottom of the holster bulging through my jeans on my ass. I have an MTAC IWB holster which is very comfortable and holds the weapon well... Please advise a noob. I don't want to leave my house thinking everyone knows I'm carrying...

Here's my advice. Forget the glocks (sell them) and Get your "dream gun" !!!

You can get a pro carry 2 for less than $800 NIB and they are plenty availiable. How much more is that than your glocks?

For more on my position look here

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/kimber-pro-carry-ii-friends-23547/

at my new pro carry 2 with night sights and my first outing with it. I need to break it in more before it's my carry gun, but I am very happy with it so far!

28oz, slim for carry, and .45acp firepower, awesome trigger, and the best designed handgun ever.

Where's the problem here?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Car, oddly the gun does fit perfectly anywhere in my waistband and is undetectable. I just don't know if I would have the confidence to go out like a gangmember lol, go- nice shooting, any further report on the ftf? Also how do people conceal OWB? Isn't it the same as open carry?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Here's my advice. Forget the glocks (sell them) and Get your "dream gun" !!!

You can get a pro carry 2 for less than $800 NIB and they are plenty availiable. How much more is that than your glocks?

For more on my position look here

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/kimber-pro-carry-ii-friends-23547/

at my new pro carry 2 with night sights and my first outing with it. I need to break it in more before it's my carry gun, but I am very happy with it so far!

28oz, slim for carry, and .45acp firepower, awesome trigger, and the best designed handgun ever.

Where's the problem here?

I agree with everything that he said EXCEPT....Never sell a gun unless its an absolute piece of crap. You'll only regret it.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I put said gun in holster on my hip and make sure I have something covering it such as a shirt or jacket. WALAH, concealed OWB!

Not open carry!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
I agree with everything that he said EXCEPT....Never sell a gun unless its an absolute piece of crap. You'll only regret it.
Not true. I have sold guns to get guns I liked more even though I liked them.

It's not like everyone can keep every firearm they will ever own,always and forever.

You decide what you like and make decisions, then never look back.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I carry a Glock 30 quite a bit. I never found a holster I was comfortable with. They all seem to have the gun riding up too high against my ribcage and having it concealed properly is an issue so I don't use a holster. I carry my gun tucked on my right side, inside the waistband of the pants or shorts I'm wearing, and my shirt hanging out . The gun is heavy so I have to wear a belt when carrying this way. I have a S&W mod 37 I carry that way also.

Another reason for carrying in the waistband, is if the gun is holstered I don't have to jerk my shirt halfway to my neck to unholster, my way, the shirt comes up with the natural movement of your hand reaching to pull the gun out. A lot less noticeable to bystanders or a bad guy.

A quick note, when I lived in Mich., I most often used a Galco shoulder holster in the winter when wearing a jacket.

There are some that will say that it's dangerous or stupid to carry that way but I've been doing it that way with other handguns since 1972 when I first started carrying.

I'm not telling you to carry the way I do but If you have a mind to try at home, make sure your G-19 is unloaded then put it in your waistband while you are doing things around the house. Bend over, jerk sideways, jog in your back yard, etc. Do this over and over until you feel confident with carrying that way, or if not, you can always go back to the holster search.

I respectfully disagree! Tucked in the waistband is extremely unsafe in my opinion. Too much could go wrong. When carrying you want a holstered and secure firearm. With the right holster there is less chance of getting snagged and no problem drawing.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Not true. I have sold guns to get guns I liked more even though I liked them.

It's not like everyone can keep every firearm they will ever own,always and forever.

You decide what you like and make decisions, then never look back.
Sir.. Your gunsafe is obviously too small.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

As far as the carry situation, I have had my permit now for almost 2 years After leaving Cal. 4 yrs. ago.
At first, I thought everybody could see it. I carry a little Taurus PT111 Pro in an Uncle Mike's hip holster. Baggy t-shirts in the summer. Light jackets cover in spring. Winter time, you can hide it anywhere..
Dont freak out and keep adjusting the holster or belt. Dont draw attention to that area. And just relax !! If the State and Govt. say you can carry, then dammit. Take advantage of it ! Shows your an upstanding citizen.

Oh. And congrats. The day you get that permit will be a day you wont forget. So. Get that holster situation figured out.

And.. Just relax..

Newest Threads