Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > need help in california. question re: gun shops.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I wouldn't give any of the guns you listed to a person I hated. These are typically referred to as "Saturday Night Specials". Jimenez, Bryco, Jennings, etc., are as likely to explode as they are to fire.

Not to call BS but why are you so intent on buying a cheap handgun - even a .22? Get a good cheap shotgun if what you're trying to protect is your home...

Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #12

well my main reason for the low spending limit is my business im starting up has sucked away all my $$$. i've probably spend 2-3 grand on it so far...

i kind of put the security factor last here...a mistake i know.

to be honest my experience with guns is very limited...thats why i posted them up here as i didnt want to just buy something that isnt worth anything.

i was hoping for something handgun size as it would be easier to surprise an unsuspecting robber than if i had to pull out a full length shotgun or rifle. thats why im hell bent on a handheld size firearm thus i havent even really looked into any shotguns or rifles as of yet. my ultimate goal (of course) is not to ever have to fire a weapon at someone...but if i do im looking for something that wont jam (as i wouldnt wanna be a dear caught in the headlights so to speak).

i did hear the hi-points do tend to jam...which made me weary...

if i do get a shotgun/rifle couldnt i just go to a sporting goods store? or is this not a good idea (such as big 5, sportchalet, etc.)

i been pretty much open to anything (other than the 2 shot capacity handguns of course)

Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Take NGIB's advice, don't buy any of those pistols you listed. believe me, if you are set on a handgun, you can find something decent other than those. I wouldn't trust my life to any of those and I'm not being a snob. But you'll probably have to spend more like $300. plus tax and registration.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I don't know CA at all but I could walk into my local Walmart here and buy a basic shotgun for close to your budget. If you have no gun experience, a handgun is a really poor choice for home defense as they require lots of practice to be used effectively. Get a good basic pump shotgun...