Need help!!!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Need help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Need help!!!

I am a 21 year old fire fighter. My birthday was earlier this month and I am interested in purchasing a hand gun. I live in North Carolina which is an open carry state. I need advice on for a first time shooter and gun owner. Any suggestions for a first weapon?

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Consider a Ruger GP100 revolver in .38/.357 magnum. The .38 special ammo is great for target practice while the .357 magnum rounds would be a bit harder hitting for self defense. A revolver is a good kind of handgun to learn on, since the operation is obvious from outside.

If you don't mind buying a firearm strictly to learn with, consider a .22.
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts

Go to a bunch of lgs and shows pick up everything you can get a hand on and pick what ever fits best in you're hand.Take into account what you're going to use it fore(home d,cc,range)and how you plan to carry.Everyone here has their absolute fave I know I have mine (Sig Sauer)but that doesn't mean it's the right one for you.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Liked 11503 Times on 4969 Posts
Likes Given: 1888

Another vote for a .357 revolver- but a Ruger .22 Auto is a great first handgun. Ammo is cheap enuff that you will shoot a LOT more.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Find a range that rents and try a bunch. I find a revolver or a Beretta 92 a good choice. Easy to see what's going on, accurate and easy to control.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Liked 3710 Times on 2118 Posts
Likes Given: 1664

Get your mitts on as many as you can to try out.

Read each user's manual (especially the cleaning / maintenance area).

Get some training from a certified instructor (so that Uncle's bad habits are not picked up).
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Liked 2478 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

#1 - Take a basic pistol class. This link will help you find one in your area:

#2 - Watch the videos in this thread:

#3 - Like others have said, try as many different handguns as you can. Choosing a handgun is like choosing a pair of shoes. It is a very personal choice, and what may work for someone else, might not work for you.

#4 - If there is one thing we can all agree upon here, it is that everyone needs a .22. If it is not your first gun, it should be your second.

If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

personally i will not suggest a particular pistol or type, because a pistol is in many ways a very personal thing. what works for me and that i can shoot well might not be the right choice for you.

as other have suggested and is the same thing i have said to those new to pistols and wanting to get one, try out many and see what fits you and puts a smile on your face.

yes enroll in a firearms safety class. and as suggested if you are new to firearms, then a pistol or rifle in 22 rimfire might be first one to look into getting. a person can practice much cheaper usually with a 22 vs. a centerfire calibr and learn the basics.

when you find some that fit and you're interested in as getting serious about, come back and ask us about them. very likely someone here has some input on just about anything you might come across.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 AM   #10
Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Wheel gun or pistol? It is up to what you like, and then you should know what you need. If you have friends with weapons ask to see/shoot if not see the above.
Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.
People Like This 

Newest Threads