Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Need help!

Hey there, I just moved to a new house with a girlfriend of mine. We live in the middle of the woods, and I would feel a lot more comfortable with some sort of protection in the house. I grew up in a house of hunters, so I have been around guns my whole life. I'm look at getting my CPL. I would like to get a hand gun and am curious what gun might be right for me. What features should I look for when I'm buying a gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

The best way is to try-before-you-buy. Go to a range that rents guns or shoot with friends to try theirs. Folks on here can only tell you what they like, you have to find one that you like. Why do you think there is so many choices? Everyone likes something different.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 627

first i suggest going and getting a shotty for HD right away. so at least you have something...when looking for a pistol the process can sometimes be long and you wouldnt want to be defenseless while your choosing...you have to figure out a few things to even start your search. is it going to be a carry and HD gun? or just fit one role? have you handled and shot pistols before? most of the time a carry gun might be smaller than one you would want to keep at home. not always but sometimes. i can really only say go to a gunstore. and ask to handle a ton of different pistols. semi auto, revolvers in variying .22 through 45. different brands.. try to narrow it down to what you feel more comfortable with...

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I found the following site to be very useful for selecting a handgun both for myself, and for my wife:
http://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/

it's written with ladies in mind, but is 100% applicable to both genders on a fundamentals level. I found the articles on "fit" and storage locations to be invaluable.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Live in woods, so pretty secluded then? Sheet rock walls? No close neighbors?

I hate revolvers, but this sounds, to me, like a perfect case for one, if in home protection is all you want it for. I'd say a 357mag or 38 special, then add an under the bed shotgun filled with buckshot and you're good to go. If you're like me, which personal protection is a secondary purpose, and shooting fun is your primary goal, then grab a nice semi-auto with high capacity magazine and use it for both!

I like the Ruger SR9C!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you thank you! It means a lot. Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the gun range. I got a lot of good suggestions, so I'll for sure try them out. I'm excited! Thanks again!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #7

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
first i suggest going and getting a shotty for HD right away. so at least you have something...when looking for a pistol the process can sometimes be long and you wouldnt want to be defenseless while your choosing...you have to figure out a few things to even start your search. is it going to be a carry and HD gun? or just fit one role? have you handled and shot pistols before? most of the time a carry gun might be smaller than one you would want to keep at home. not always but sometimes. i can really only say go to a gunstore. and ask to handle a ton of different pistols. semi auto, revolvers in variying .22 through 45. different brands.. try to narrow it down to what you feel more comfortable with...
I have to agree, a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, used, till you

get the chance to find your favorite pistol.

Then try the Beretta 92FS. Full-frame, accurate, 9mm, 15shot,

Hey, Trinity from the Matrix wouldn't lead you astray, would she?-

Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

My wife's pistol is a Kahr CW9 9mm---fits her hands well, not a lot of kick, small and handy. I liked her pistol so much I went and bought one for myself---keeping it as simple as I can.

Newest Threads