need gun help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > need gun help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need gun help

hello all

i want to buy a new or used semi auto
to carry everyday any hints?

and my price range is $100-400

i love 9mm or .45 acp

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

well a nice used glock or 1911 would be my first choices, will this be your cherry popper or are you experienced with autos

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooters View Post
hello all i want to buy a new or used semi auto
to carry everyday any hints? and my price range is $100-400 i love 9mm or .45 acp
In today's market your budget is limiting your selection.
It's also limiting the efficacy to protect your life.
The following is strictly my opinion and is expressed exactly as such.
It is my process and intended to be applied in a perfect world.
(But then in a perfect world why would you need to carry?)
I know I’m going to get flack from any number of members on the forum but gun ownership is an entirely different animal from the selection of a personal defense gun.
I will approach this subject by using a man-woman* relationship analogy.
A man (Gun Owner) needs numerous opposite-sex (Gun) relationships to be fulfilled as a man (GO). It’s fun to repeatedly experience, and experiment with the opposite-sex (Gun) to gain the knowledge required to formulate his ultimate selection of The One (Personal Defense Gun) he will live with, in a trusting partnership for the rest of his life.
Now with that said, and for those of us blessed with a good marriage, we have made the correct selection of The One (PDG)!
For the rest of you mooks, divorce is a remedy and for some, you will continue to search forever. (Not making any judgments but if the holster fits…)
Once you have selected the one (PDG) there is no problem should you want to buy her a new dress (grips) or new boobs (beavertail safety) or even send her to a day spa (gunsmith) every once in a while.
This relationship will endure only if the man (GO) has complete and unwavering trust in The One (PDG).
With all metaphors aside, if you are truly selecting The One, I would go with a 1911 LW Commander chambered in 45ACP.
In order to do this, even if your search includes used, you will need to add another $200.
Bottom line, if your life is in danger, run out and buy the first gun that goes bang, load it and carry it!
Good luck and thanks for putting up with my silliness.

* Note Benning Boy this DOES NOT include Sasquatch! (you had to be there)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #4

Default 1911

Personally, I would save up some serious cash (1,500) and buy a Les Baer used Premier II in .45. Having said that, I was shooting at the range today with a fellow tickled to death with his new used Springfield Arms 1911 replica! It was loose as a goose and shot almost as accurate as my Bullseye gin! Definately steel over plastic unless your 20 something and just want something that goes "bang". Hope this helps...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

When times got tough a couple of months ago, I sold my Kimber Compact II off for $500. Other than some moderate holster wear, it was immaculate. To the untrained eye, the internals would have looked brand new.

It was an older forged steel model that was made when they still put the 1.25" at 25 yds. guarantee on them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I hadn't read this before, but I laughed my ass off when I read cane's post on the world of firearms relationships.... LOL

That was good stuff.

JD

Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In today's market your budget is limiting your selection.
It's also limiting the efficacy to protect your life.
The following is strictly my opinion and is expressed exactly as such.
It is my process and intended to be applied in a perfect world.
(But then in a perfect world why would you need to carry?)
I know I’m going to get flack from any number of members on the forum but gun ownership is an entirely different animal from the selection of a personal defense gun.
I will approach this subject by using a man-woman* relationship analogy.
A man (Gun Owner) needs numerous opposite-sex (Gun) relationships to be fulfilled as a man (GO). It’s fun to repeatedly experience, and experiment with the opposite-sex (Gun) to gain the knowledge required to formulate his ultimate selection of The One (Personal Defense Gun) he will live with, in a trusting partnership for the rest of his life.
Now with that said, and for those of us blessed with a good marriage, we have made the correct selection of The One (PDG)!
For the rest of you mooks, divorce is a remedy and for some, you will continue to search forever. (Not making any judgments but if the holster fits…)
Once you have selected the one (PDG) there is no problem should you want to buy her a new dress (grips) or new boobs (beavertail safety) or even send her to a day spa (gunsmith) every once in a while.
This relationship will endure only if the man (GO) has complete and unwavering trust in The One (PDG).
With all metaphors aside, if you are truly selecting The One, I would go with a 1911 LW Commander chambered in 45ACP.
In order to do this, even if your search includes used, you will need to add another $200.
Bottom line, if your life is in danger, run out and buy the first gun that goes bang, load it and carry it!
Good luck and thanks for putting up with my silliness.

* Note Benning Boy this DOES NOT include Sasquatch! (you had to be there)
Cane, I know I'm a new kid on the block, BUT, that is twice I have blew beer on my screen, because of you. You come up with this stuff right off the top of your head? I would love to meet you in person, you got to be a freaking riot.
Bob

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
Cane, I know I'm a new kid on the block, BUT, that is twice I have blew beer on my screen, because of you. You come up with this stuff right off the top of your head? I would love to meet you in person, you got to be a freaking riot.
Bob
Who's Beer and why is he sitting on top of your computer screen?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooters View Post
hello all

i want to buy a new or used semi auto
to carry everyday any hints?

and my price range is $100-400

i love 9mm or .45 acp
My first choice in your price range would be a used Glock 19. It's going
to be a struggle to find a gun that you would be willing to stake your
life on for under $400! Maybe a Ruger, but they tend to be a bit chunky.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Who's "Beer" and why is he sitting on top of your computer screen?
Times 2 - *ZING!* Matt has clearly landed a solid knockout shot late in the round...

LOL

JD