Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   need gun help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/need-gun-help-10265/)

shooters 01-24-2009 08:13 PM

need gun help

hello all

i want to buy a new or used semi auto
to carry everyday any hints?

and my price range is $100-400

i love 9mm or .45 acp

sgtdeath66 01-24-2009 08:20 PM

well a nice used glock or 1911 would be my first choices, will this be your cherry popper or are you experienced with autos

canebrake 01-24-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooters (Post 65150)
hello all i want to buy a new or used semi auto
to carry everyday any hints? and my price range is $100-400 i love 9mm or .45 acp

In today's market your budget is limiting your selection.
It's also limiting the efficacy to protect your life.
The following is strictly my opinion and is expressed exactly as such. :D
It is my process and intended to be applied in a perfect world.
(But then in a perfect world why would you need to carry?) :confused:
I know Iím going to get flack from any number of members on the forum but gun ownership is an entirely different animal from the selection of a personal defense gun.
I will approach this subject by using a man-woman* relationship analogy.
A man (Gun Owner) needs numerous opposite-sex (Gun) relationships to be fulfilled as a man (GO). Itís fun to repeatedly experience, and experiment with the opposite-sex (Gun) to gain the knowledge required to formulate his ultimate selection of The One (Personal Defense Gun) he will live with, in a trusting partnership for the rest of his life.
Now with that said, and for those of us blessed with a good marriage, we have made the correct selection of The One (PDG)!
For the rest of you mooks, divorce is a remedy and for some, you will continue to search forever. (Not making any judgments but if the holster fitsÖ) :p
Once you have selected the one (PDG) there is no problem should you want to buy her a new dress (grips) or new boobs (beavertail safety) or even send her to a day spa (gunsmith) every once in a while.
This relationship will endure only if the man (GO) has complete and unwavering trust in The One (PDG).
With all metaphors aside, if you are truly selecting The One, I would go with a 1911 LW Commander chambered in 45ACP.
In order to do this, even if your search includes used, you will need to add another $200.
Bottom line, if your life is in danger, run out and buy the first gun that goes bang, load it and carry it!
Good luck and thanks for putting up with my silliness. :rolleyes:

* Note Benning Boy this DOES NOT include Sasquatch! (you had to be there)

Baer45 01-25-2009 05:15 AM

Personally, I would save up some serious cash (1,500) and buy a Les Baer used Premier II in .45. Having said that, I was shooting at the range today with a fellow tickled to death with his new used Springfield Arms 1911 replica! It was loose as a goose and shot almost as accurate as my Bullseye gin! Definately steel over plastic unless your 20 something and just want something that goes "bang". Hope this helps...

matt g 01-25-2009 07:28 AM

When times got tough a couple of months ago, I sold my Kimber Compact II off for $500. Other than some moderate holster wear, it was immaculate. To the untrained eye, the internals would have looked brand new.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...100_0684_1.jpg

It was an older forged steel model that was made when they still put the 1.25" at 25 yds. guarantee on them.

Dillinger 01-25-2009 05:36 PM

I hadn't read this before, but I laughed my ass off when I read cane's post on the world of firearms relationships.... LOL

That was good stuff.

JD

bobbyb13 01-25-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 65163)
In today's market your budget is limiting your selection.
It's also limiting the efficacy to protect your life.
The following is strictly my opinion and is expressed exactly as such. :D
It is my process and intended to be applied in a perfect world.
(But then in a perfect world why would you need to carry?) :confused:
I know Iím going to get flack from any number of members on the forum but gun ownership is an entirely different animal from the selection of a personal defense gun.
I will approach this subject by using a man-woman* relationship analogy.
A man (Gun Owner) needs numerous opposite-sex (Gun) relationships to be fulfilled as a man (GO). Itís fun to repeatedly experience, and experiment with the opposite-sex (Gun) to gain the knowledge required to formulate his ultimate selection of The One (Personal Defense Gun) he will live with, in a trusting partnership for the rest of his life.
Now with that said, and for those of us blessed with a good marriage, we have made the correct selection of The One (PDG)!
For the rest of you mooks, divorce is a remedy and for some, you will continue to search forever. (Not making any judgments but if the holster fitsÖ) :p
Once you have selected the one (PDG) there is no problem should you want to buy her a new dress (grips) or new boobs (beavertail safety) or even send her to a day spa (gunsmith) every once in a while.
This relationship will endure only if the man (GO) has complete and unwavering trust in The One (PDG).
With all metaphors aside, if you are truly selecting The One, I would go with a 1911 LW Commander chambered in 45ACP.
In order to do this, even if your search includes used, you will need to add another $200.
Bottom line, if your life is in danger, run out and buy the first gun that goes bang, load it and carry it!
Good luck and thanks for putting up with my silliness. :rolleyes:

* Note Benning Boy this DOES NOT include Sasquatch! (you had to be there)

Cane, I know I'm a new kid on the block, BUT, that is twice I have blew beer on my screen, because of you. You come up with this stuff right off the top of your head? I would love to meet you in person, you got to be a freaking riot.
Bob

matt g 01-25-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyb13 (Post 65433)
Cane, I know I'm a new kid on the block, BUT, that is twice I have blew beer on my screen, because of you. You come up with this stuff right off the top of your head? I would love to meet you in person, you got to be a freaking riot.
Bob

Who's Beer and why is he sitting on top of your computer screen?

BillM 01-25-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooters (Post 65150)
hello all

i want to buy a new or used semi auto
to carry everyday any hints?

and my price range is $100-400

i love 9mm or .45 acp

My first choice in your price range would be a used Glock 19. It's going
to be a struggle to find a gun that you would be willing to stake your
life on for under $400! Maybe a Ruger, but they tend to be a bit chunky.

Dillinger 01-26-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 65439)
Who's "Beer" and why is he sitting on top of your computer screen?

Times 2 - *ZING!* Matt has clearly landed a solid knockout shot late in the round...

LOL

JD