Need to change calibers due to injury. 9mm or .380? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need to change calibers due to injury. 9mm or .380?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I have the Ruger LCP 380. It's my favorite carry because it is small and conceals so well. But shooting it is a bear! It kicks! It's not a fun range gun. But it doesn't have to be a range gun to carry.
I also have a Ruger LC9 9mm. It is my favorite gun to shoot. Softer recoil. Good at the range. A little bigger - so I really don't carry it - though I am holstered for it.
I have 38 Specials.
S&W Airweight - it kicks. Not as much as the LCP - but it's not fun.
I have Ruger's LCR in 38 Special - it kicks less than the S&W - because of the Hogue grips.
Gun weight makes a big difference with recoil - but also in ability to conceal and carry - a trade-off here.
But you could carry a larger caliber and just not shoot it much at the range - so as not to worsen your hand condition. Practice with a light caliber would be perfect.
I use a Ruger Mark III 22. The 22/45 is the same grip configuration as your 1911, though the controls are much different.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
Hello everyone,
I would like to get your opinion on this. I suffered an injury to my right hand that limits my grip strength. I currently have a taurus pt 1911 and love it though it does not love me the recoil makes my hand ache for quite some time after a range session. I would like to find something a little softer shooting, not sure if i should go with a full size 9 mm or go .380? Thank you all in advance.
my hand was damage so bad in 2001 that I couldn't feel a thing with my right hand. Nerve damage takes time to heal. It took well over a year for the feeling to come back in my right hand. My hand is still not as strong as it was before the injury. But I have no problems handling larger pistols or magnum calibers. It will take time but I am willing to bet in time you have the same experience. We would have to start another thread to cover all the hand injures I have suffered but I recovered from every one of them. My friend you will recover too.

You might have to drop back to shooting a 22 for a while. Most 380s are so tiny and ill fitting the perceived recoil is worse than your 1911. Try shooting every gun you can get your hands on. None of us can know what you are feeling. You might find something you can handle.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-17-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #53

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Depending where you live i have fund an awful lot of russian makarovs in pawn shops the 9x18 Mak calibre shoots really good while having alot less recoil than a 9mm luger my own 50 year old mother carries one on a regular basis and she has tiny little hands