Need to change calibers due to injury. 9mm or .380? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need to change calibers due to injury. 9mm or .380?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a injury to my left (I am a lefty) arm that limits my grip ( well just had a 2nd surgery on it so it may get better or not) also. I like my 40 cal and have learned to deal with it and I am learning to shoot right handed as well. I think I can pass a qualifying round right handed now. I say hang in there and don't give in or up. Best of luck.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #32

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Range report: gloves help though a recoil reducing wrap maybe helpful. Made it through six mags before needing to stop. Kinda stiff right now but manageable

Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sounds like progress!

I wonder about a wrist wrap to keep it from moving up the arm as much.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-02-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #34

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Range report part 2:
Ran another six mags today also did some ar work and a little shotgunning too. Feeling ok just stiff. Witnessed something truly sad though, met a guy with arthritis that affects his whole body, avid shooter and a pretty good shot too. He broke out a taurus .25 auto his primary carry gun and it proceeded to fail repeatedly after field stripping the gun he found that the slide stop blocks at the rear of the firearm were wearing to the point of complete malfunction. Bummer way to end an otherwise great day at the range

Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #35

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

.380 is better than nothing but I prefer 9mm but I'm not in your situation, could you go and rent a few different calibers to try them out? and don't forget good old school reliable .38 revolvers either!

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #36

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus
.380 is better than nothing but I prefer 9mm but I'm not in your situation, could you go and rent a few different calibers to try them out? and don't forget good old school reliable .38 revolvers either!
I would love to rent and try out a few different guns but there are no ranges that rent firearms in vt as far as i know. I am considering buying a .38 as a daily carry gun and leaving my 1911 as a home defense weapon. Haven't done daily carry before but the .38 is definitely at the top of my list of possibilities. Thanks for the suggestion. Other than Smith what maker would you recommend for that .38?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
I would love to rent and try out a few different guns but there are no ranges that rent firearms in vt as far as i know. I am considering buying a .38 as a daily carry gun and leaving my 1911 as a home defense weapon. Haven't done daily carry before but the .38 is definitely at the top of my list of possibilities. Thanks for the suggestion. Other than Smith what maker would you recommend for that .38?
dude...... I'm going to be accused of being a fan boy (I've already praised the LCR once today) But the Ruger LCR might be exactly what your looking for, For defense I load a very hot Gold Dot 158gr +p HP that kicks like a mule but regular FMJ's hardly recoil much at all and from what I've been told by other shooters is the wives like this pistol allot because of the low recoil, actually, it's more like a SNAP then normal recoil, read some of these real people reviews at buds If we were close I'd totally let you borrow one for a range trip, I love this platform so much I've bought 3 different chamberings and 2 of the 38's, my oldest has 3 to 4 thousand rounds through it without much wear at all, only surface wear, like scratches and joints rubbing and I carry one daily. http://youtu.be/_BmpQqtBAVc

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 08-03-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #38

And on second thought, I bet that hogue grip would be good for your hand, it's really thick/squishy rubbery material, it's a pad to adsorb the snappiness of the recoil, which may be the real reason women and men say it's a comfortable shoot.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #39

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus
And on second thought, I bet that hogue grip would be good for your hand, it's really thick/squishy rubbery material, it's a pad to adsorb the snappiness of the recoil, which may be the real reason women and men say it's a comfortable shoot.
Hey thanks again for the help, i do like the way Ruger does things, if I were to go with .357 i could have the ability to pick and choose between .38 and .357. I am not sure if s&w even has a snubby .357. I will check out my local shop and ask thanks again

Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
Hey thanks again for the help, i do like the way Ruger does things, if I were to go with .357 i could have the ability to pick and choose between .38 and .357. I am not sure if s&w even has a snubby .357. I will check out my local shop and ask thanks again
Yep, LCR comes in .22/.38/.357.