Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Need to change calibers due to injury. 9mm or .380?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Generally the heavier guns will absorb quite a bit of the felt recoil. But if your nerve damage also makes holding heavy weight a problem, then life is more complicated. Either way, try to find a few ranges with rental counters and try out a bunch of different guns. Remember that after market, squishy grips may also help reduce the impact on your hand. So look for guns that have such grips available.
Thanks for the suggestion i will keep an eye out for a "squishy" grip sleeve for my 1911, in the mean time i plan to try wearing gloves.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Sorry to hear that.
Depends on budjit i guess-
I have a RIA 9mm Tactical that i dearly love & trust so i'd recommend it to anyone More exspensive ones of course are availible but i've quit looking.
EZ to personalize too
Looks like a really cool piece. I think it's kinda cool that rock island arms is in the Philippines being as the filipino insurrection is the reason for the U.S. government choosing the .45 caliber and in turn the 1911, after it was discovered that the .38 while effective against most adversaries it couldn't stop a battle frenzied filipino warrior. Also my mom is from the Philippines so that adds to the cool factor. I may consider trading in my taurus to get a Ria but i will try a couple of other cheaper options first
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1717 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
Hello everyone,
I would like to get your opinion on this. I suffered an injury to my right hand that limits my grip strength. I currently have a taurus pt 1911 and love it though it does not love me the recoil makes my hand ache for quite some time after a range session. I would like to find something a little softer shooting, not sure if i should go with a full size 9 mm or go .380? Thank you all in advance.
If your injury is limiting your grip strength you may have an even harder time holding on to a smaller gun. If it is recoil sensitivity in most cases a heavier firearm with a lighter caliber will help you out.

Since you did mention .380, I would give a Sig P238 a try. The perceived recoil is unbelievably light. My daughter fired mine and told me it was almost a reverse recoil as if the gun was trying to pull itself back on target.

If you carry for self defense it may be time to start some serious weak side shooting practice. It will help to prepare you in case right hand shooting becomes unbearable, and it will give you range time without aggravating the injury.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #24

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84 View Post
Depends on the gun I'd say my 380 has more recoil than my 45 just because its so small
I had reduced the recoil on my .380 by replacing recoil spring #9 with a spring #13. Big difference notable.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #25

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Im going to go against the previous suggestions and say dont switch at all.

Get yourself a ruger 22/45 a couple of extra mags an ultimate clip loader and remove the magazine safety so the mags drop free and seat without problems. Use that for 99% of your range practice and shoot your current carry piece once in a while for familiarization.

I think you will get far more benefit practicing your trigger control and accuracy with a 22 and keep your current carry. Most of my shooting is 22lr. The techniques of trigger control sight alignment and so on apply to 22s just as they do to any other caliber.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #26

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
What 9mm 1911 would you suggest?

I picked up this Springfield 9 MM Target Model a few weeks back. You wouldn't believe how soft this thing shoots. Recoil is nowhere near what a .45 ACP 1911 is. This gun also comes in a "Tactical Model" that is basically the same gun, but with Novak style combat sights. It is much more holster and concealed carry friendly.

Another excellent choice is the CZ-75B. This is also a heavy gun that reduces recoil of the 9 MM cartridge to a very acceptable level. Of the 2 the CZ offers a larger capacity with Mec-Gar magazines that hold up to 19 rounds. The Springfield 1911 in 9 MM holds 9.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #27

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sorry to hear about your injury. With that said, you need to learn to shoot with your weak hand. When I put people through my personal defense courses, they will shoot both strong and weak hand. It is a skill that everyone who uses a handgun for self defense needs to learn. Your injury is a good example. What if your right hand was totally useless and you have never shot weak handed ? You would, for the most part, be defenseless. Acquire the skill and practice it often, you will be better prepared for the future.

Jim..............

Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
Supporting Member

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I own both, a Beretta 84 in .380 and a Sig 229 in 9mm. IMO, based on these 2 firearms, the Beretta shoots with a bit less recoil than the Sig although the difference is marginal at best. Both have a similar barrel length I think the Sig is maybe half an inch longer. I think it's important to know which one allows you to maintain control of your weapon best during live fire. In order to learn that, it's best to fire them both. Head out to the range and give them both a try.

If you are really concerned about the recoil, get a full frame 1911 in .22. Browning makes a 1911 in .22 that looks like someone put it in the dryer, it's shrunken down compared to a regular 1911 to about 80% of normal size but it's exactly to spec like a full sized 1911 meaning it's about the same size as a Walther P22 or a Ruger SR 22. Pretty cool little item..

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Going to the range this weekend will report on the use of gloves, haven't found any accessories to decrease felt recoil. Thank you guys for all your help

Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #30

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Going to the range this weekend will report on the use of gloves, haven't found any accessories to decrease felt recoil. Thank you guys for all your help
Let us know how it goes

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET