In need of advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > In need of advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon8066 View Post
Hello to all,

I am in processing of getting a new side arm I was leaning towards the Beretta in 40 cal, a mimic of the M9 that I have carried when I was active do they have the same issue of the loose slide? I was advise to look at the SW 910 instead. Any thoughts out there??
I assume you are referring to the 96 and not the Px4, if so take a look at the CZ 75 as an alternative. Has a very similar look and feel to the Beretta, a great reputation and is a little easier on the wallet. I have the M9 in standard 9mm and the recoil is not even noticable, size and weight of the 9X platform may help to tame the snappiness of the .40 S&W. I do have an XD 40 and it is a tad snappy but manageable. Like anything else, you need to practice and work out the kinks.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 07-22-2010 at 04:45 AM.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
CZ75B...

Enough said.

Because I'm a CZ honk, I'll go ahead and second that. They're too heavy for carry, but are great for range and HD. They're also a great value IMO. Available in 9mm and 40sw, I think it's worth a test drive if you haven't yet experienced one.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A 40 is a good round but it is not like a 9mm or a 45 ACP...Not really. It's a high pressure round like a 9mm is but it's moving a bit faster. REcoil wise they don't seem bad (to me) but it is a snappier recoil than a 9mm. Not really harder, but snappier.

When it comes down to it any of the three make for a good SD round. It will have much more to do with how you can use any of these rounds. Personally I like a 45 ACP but will carry a 40 from time to time. I seem to shoot 45's a little better than the others so I stay mainly with them.

If it was me and I'm loking around and have not shot a whole lot of different handguns then I'd find a way to do just that. I would want to get my hands on as many different type as possible and put a little lead down range. There are tons of quality handguns out there. The one that gives that lovin' feelin' might be different for five different people. So it's best to look around.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #14

Default 9mm or .45 acp

9mm or 40 s&w are OK, just don't get a diminutive gun, they are marginal.
And remember guys, the s&w was designed for FBI use, and look at the flat nose is designed to stop and drop a subject.

Also make sure the barrel is no less than 3", for efficiency, short arms like revolvers, use longer shells to make up for the short barrel.

A small keltec pf9 for personal protection is good, and Don Davis, I think berettas are the most beautiful pistols, but they are not too small for real concealment, if they were cars they would be jaguars.
Here a Keltec PF9 with night sights from glow-on.com, nothing fancy nid you, but in a hurry, it can save your life.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #15

Default To Everyone Thanks

Well we ended up not with one but 2 sidearms she was so after the M9 it wasn't funny so we got that and I picked up a Ruger P95 not the most high end but it fits well in my hands and since it is a PDW/HDW it was a good choice for the house.

Now I have a new issue and maybe someone out there will have a direction I can go with.. I have a Norinco SKS (I know no rashing please) I use it as a plinker mostly if I need to hunt or really shoot I use my Winchester M70 for that. Okay back to the issue here what is the most accurate ammo to use for it I have shot wolf and well I get ok groups but not great (shooting at 100 yards) and I tried the Winchester WB and well it seemed they went everywhere but the target ha ha, I even bought some Egyptian 7.62x39 okay I learned from that never again.

Just looking for some ammo that will be constant to a 100 yards with a good MOA on it.

I just play with the "Beast" (as the wife calls it) but want to feel a little pride at the range..LOL

Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you can keep rounds in a 8" circle at 100 yards with a SKS be happy with that.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 01-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #17

Default A little better then that

I got it down to about 5 inch I know the SKS will never be a tack driver but I was hoping or praying for about a 3" group is that possible?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont think my Ruger SR40 is anymore "snappy" than any 9mm I'v ever shot.