Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > In need of advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default In need of advice

Hello to all,

I am in processing of getting a new side arm I was leaning towards the Beretta in 40 cal, a mimic of the M9 that I have carried when I was active do they have the same issue of the loose slide? I was advise to look at the SW 910 instead. Any thoughts out there??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

What are your plans? Self defense, target, competition?
If you are used to the M9, I would look to stay with the same platform.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

Mostly Range and HDW. Wife is still active duty so she would be used to the platform already but was thinking of a bit bit more firepower with the 40. Some say it fires like a hot 9mm with the punch of the 45

Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the .40 S&W (yes I do own 2 of them). I'd recommend staying with a 9mm or .45 ACP. Nothing wrong with the Beretta platform but they are big guns...

Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the .40 S&W (yes I do own 2 of them). I'd recommend staying with a 9mm or .45 ACP. Nothing wrong with the Beretta platform but they are big guns...
Ditto here--I have several .40s but they are the last gun I grab to take to the range, and I will probably never buy another. Just personal preference, but the recoil sensation, although not painful or overly punishing, is uncomfortable (probably "annoying" is a good term to use) to me. If getting an M9 I would stay with the 9mm--that's the round is was designed and engineered for, or go for a different platform in a .45 ACP, which would be my first choice.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Personally, I like the .40. Good punch and I've never had a problem with the recoil. Even on those occasions where my finger gets going faster than my brain, the recoil is such that I can still keep a good group.

I would recommend you check out other pistols besides the Beretta. I never thought the Beretta was very ergonomic. There are several others that are just as reliable, and I have found feel much better. That Beretta grip is just uncomfortable.

Check out S&W, Springfield, Glock (ugh), and take your pick.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My suggestion is to keep it simple. Go with what you know and what you're already comfortable with. Get the Beretta in 9mm. Load it with serious hollowpoints like federal HST's or something similar and you're good to go.

Personally, I just don't care for the .40 caliber. I think it's too snappy for what it is and it makes for lousy target reacquisition. If you're looking for more punch, I suggest going to .45 ACP.

Maybe you can find a Beretta or Stoeger Cougar 8045. They are Beretta's (the Stoeger is really a Beretta in all but name) a manufacturer you're familiar with and the .45 gives you the extra punch you're looking for.

I had a Beretta Cougar 8045 and it was a good pistol. I wouldn't have any problem with it as a home or self defense pistol in the least.

Other options would be to a look at the S&W M&P series or Springfield XD series in .45ACP.

I didn't mention the 1911 although it's my favorite pistol. They are in their own classification and it doesn't sound like one is on your radar at this time. However, you owe it to yourself to check them out at some point.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

CZ75B...

Enough said.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am a HUGE fan of the .40S&W. I carried it for years on duty, beginning as soon as I could get my hands on one when they were first developed in the late 80's. In the shootings I've investigated involving .40's, I've seen outstanding performance and penetration with proper ammo.

There has been much progress in ammunition design in the past few years, so if you choose hollow point bullets, make sure they are of current design to reliably expand after passing through common barriers. Not all of them do. I presently carry the new Hornaday Critical Defense loads in .40 S&W. When I carry one of my .45's I carry Federal's EFMJ in 200 gr. +P. (I bought the EFMJ when they were only selling it online in bulk and I still have a bunch left.) Both types have expanded each and every time in my own unscientific tests.

If you and spouse are both familiar and comfortable with the Beretta platform, why not stick with it? Beretta does make other platforms however. No matter what platform you choose, practice, practice, practice.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You pick the caliber you want - 9mm / .40 /.45

They are all great.

I'd suggest you look at 2 other weapons other than the 92.F style (92F's are great guns too)

1st the Beretta PX4

and 2nd the Sig Sauer Pro P2022

They are both excellant gun's and in the same price range at the one you're looking at. $450 to $500 around here.