Necessary criterion? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Necessary criterion?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,747
Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 915

Default

Finding them...

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: \
Posts: 990
Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

I have enough guns. Death, disaster or divorce might motivate me to buy a gun.

__________________

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old_Crow is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,612
Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir

Having the grip "fit" your hand is extremely important because it directly affects your trigger reach, and in turn can be the single factor that is keeping you from shooting accurately.

Having the right gun fitted to your hand is more of a big deal for people with rather small hands, myself included.

Imagine someone with thinner and shorter reach fingers trying to wield a N-Frame (or for a more exaggerated example, a X-Frame) S&W revolver. It is general consensus that the pivot line on your first joint of the index trigger finger should rest perfectly in the middle of the trigger blade of any gun you are using. On a larger gun like a N-Frame that inevitably has larger grips, someone with smaller hands like me will only be able to reach the trigger with just the tip of their index finger, which is a lot harder to pull the trigger with the weak flat pad of the fingertip.

This is opposed to having it "fit perfectly" with more leverage on the index joint, which could just mean simply finding thinner or smaller grips to allow you to get that optimum reach.
Okay, yeah I've got long skinny everything, so reach has never been an issue. That answers my question. Thanks.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

For me, fit is important because I do have fairly small hands for a man. I wear a men's medium work glove, and it's slightly loose. I can squeeze my hands into a small if I don't mind not being able to move it.

The funny thing is, many large guns fit my hands fine, so long as the grip is shaped just right. Sigs fit my hands best so far that I've found, but the higher bore axis and higher price tag scare me off from owning one. 1911 is almost perfect. A little fat, but I've gotten used to it, and Texas is working on some super sexy grips for me, thin profile. The arched MSH helps a lot for me. Along with a nearly perfect bore axis to control the recoil perfectly.

I also have smallish feet, at a size 10.5. And no, there's no correlation there. Everything else is fine, size 36X34 pants (yeah, I could lose a couple pounds), 7.5 hat, and uh... other stuff is normal size too.

__________________

Last edited by trip286; 11-01-2012 at 11:35 PM.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,612
Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
For me, fit is important because I do have fairly small hands for a man. I wear a men's medium work glove, and it's slightly loose. I can squeeze my hands into a small if I don't mind not being able to move it.

The funny thing is, many large guns fit my hands fine, so long as the grip is shaped just right. Sigs fit my hands best so far that I've found, but the higher bore axis and higher price tag scare me off from owning one. 1911 is almost perfect. A little fat, but I've gotten used to it, and Texas is working on some super sexy grips for me, thin profile. The arched MSH helps a lot for me. Along with a nearly perfect bore axis to control the recoil perfectly.

I also have smallish feet, at a size 10.5. And no, there's no correlation there. Everything else is fine, size 36X34 pants (yeah, I could lose a couple pounds), 7.5 hat, and uh... other stuff is normal size too.
10.5 isnt small at all. I wear 11 and medium gloves are a slight bit small lengthwise but large are too big widthwise.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SatoriNoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Downtown Dallas, TX
Posts: 51
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

FWIW, I wear size 10 shoes and size small gloves.

For people with long fingers or big hands, the only problem with proper fitting is possible interference when using a gun that feels too small when in your hand. When the gun is too small for someone with big paws, it can cause the user's index finger to come into contact with your thumb upon trigger pull. This small contact with your thumb from having too small of a grip will actually throw off your accuracy.

For someone with big hands though, it's a much simpler solution of getting bigger grips. Sometime small-handed folks may find themselves SOL if they find it is impossible to get factory smaller grips for a gun they are enamored with (because factory small grips might not exist or because the ergonomics of the frame favors larger hands)

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalai Lama XIV
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
SatoriNoir is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,612
Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir
FWIW, I wear size 10 shoes and size small gloves.

For people with long fingers or big hands, the only problem with proper fitting is possible interference when using a gun that feels too small when in your hand. When the gun is too small for someone with big paws, it can cause the user's index finger to come into contact with your thumb upon trigger pull. This small contact with your thumb from having too small of a grip will actually throw off your accuracy.

For someone with big hands though, it's a much simpler solution of getting bigger grips. Sometime small-handed folks may find themselves SOL if they find it is impossible to get factory smaller grips for a gun they are enamored with (because factory small grips might not exist or because the ergonomics of the frame favors larger hands)
With the correct grip your thumbs should be nowhere near the trigger finger, no matter where in the trigger pull it is.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SatoriNoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Downtown Dallas, TX
Posts: 51
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

With the correct grip your thumbs should be nowhere near the trigger finger, no matter where in the trigger pull it is.
Precisely. If you have the wrong grips that are too small for your hand, your thumb will get in the way of a smooth & proper trigger return.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalai Lama XIV
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
SatoriNoir is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 818
Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

As for me, it has to be a single action revovler. If the price is right, condition and other features don't matter. It does have to have promise of being built into something I want. It has to have eye appeal to me.

American made, Italian made, and Swiss made guns have that eye appeal, German revolvers don't.

The thing about single actions is that parts are generally so readily available that even near-wrecks can be transformed into very good serviceable guns.

Bob Wright

__________________
Bob Wright is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 818
Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Here's an Uberti Flat Top in .45 Colt I recently found in a gun shop, and the price was right. I didn't like the base pin screw and the button head ejector rod. A call to Brownell's and the parts arrived in three days, and I installed in about fifteen minutes.



And yes, I actually was at ten yards distance.

Bob Wright

__________________
Bob Wright is offline  
KG7IL Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes