Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > The Myth of Knockdown Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
No,no,no-no 'sides'.LOL.

The whole caliber war thing is crazy.

9x19 aint gonna knock a man down either-but I wonder if 7.62x54r heavy ball from my M44 Mosin-Nagant would?

I just wanted to go in depth to help un-confuse (total non-word there,eh?) the original poster asking about handgun 'stopping power'.

Theres nothing to it really-handguns will work if you hit someone where it counts.They also seem to work better when you hit someone multiple times in a fast succession of shots.

I read somewhere that after the first one or two shots,if the person shot isnt down,they can then take more punishment like it isnt even happening.

So what Dillinger is saying about his preferred method is pretty much correct-hit them hard and fast till they drop.

And no,I'm not advocating trying for the head shot every time,unless they're zombies for real......but I'd say that if you dumped 4 .32,.380,9x18,.38spcl,9x19,.40,.45,10mm or even 4 magnums or whatever into someones upper chest as fast as you could they're not gonna be much of a problem for you any longer.

You shouldn't worry so much about caliber and 'stopping power' as much as you should worry about learning how to use what you've got to its best advantage....if you have faith in your weapon and can use it well,and know for a fact the projectiles will penetrate and do their job as much as you can do your job and put them where they belong,then your good to go.
You want a realistic idea of what to expect from a shooting? Look at the WWII film footage. Grown men hit by .30-06 or 8mm Mauser. They kind of fold up and fall down. I seriously doubt you can expect anything more dramatic than that. No spinning, flying, flipping Hollywood bullsh!t. Drop, dead, done.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Robo I actually read somewhere once that it would take something like a 20lb object with at least a 2inch diameter going at least supersonic speed to make someone do all that flippety spinny crap.

If you carry a gun like that-your a better man than me,Gunga Din.

Because you WILL be feeling that recoil.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 06-14-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #23

Default Knock down Power

The first factor in hand gun knock down is shot placement. Another is Dwell time, the amount of time the bullet can exspend its engery on a target. Have to look back at Hatchers writeings what he wrote years ago still true today. Two understand why the old big slow moving bullets worked so well have to look at think a different way. If puched a safe door with your fist as hard and fast as you could would move the door some but would also break hand, all the engery was at once. Take you hand and give the safe door a slow push will move it a lot? I know a simple way to look at it. Dirty Harry did use a 44 mag. but if you followed alled the movies you find out he loaded it with 44 SPL.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Knock down power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Drop the one with the shotgun first.
I ain't got no problems, one shot one kill. I shoot 3.5 00 buck mag. for home defense. I don't give a s$$t what the idiots on, he ain't goin no place but to hell.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #25

Default Stopping power

Yes I agreee with you, but think we were talking Handgun stopping power and the myths?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Stopping power

I know, but the Bad guy's don't. Sorry to interlude on the Myth.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I ain't got no problems, one shot one kill. I shoot 3.5 00 buck mag. for home defense. I don't give a s$$t what the idiots on, he ain't goin no place but to hell.
enough. no?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
.....handguns will work if you hit someone where it counts.They also seem to work better when you hit someone multiple times in a fast succession of shots.

I read somewhere that after the first one or two shots,if the person shot isnt down,they can then take more punishment like it isnt even happening.

So what Dillinger is saying about his preferred method is pretty much correct-hit them hard and fast till they drop.

......You shouldn't worry so much about caliber and 'stopping power' as much as you should worry about learning how to use what you've got to its best advantage....if you have faith in your weapon and can use it well,and know for a fact the projectiles will penetrate and do their job as much as you can do your job and put them where they belong,then your good to go.
Harumph +1 ^

Good discussion even tough it was spurred on by a tired non-topic. As fast as you can as precisely as you can in the high center chest until the threat stops being a threat and on to the next one.

I think the discussion you mentioned about after two hits in flesh the target seemed to be able to soak up more. Discounting a chemical interference with the target's operating system (he is jacked), I would probably argue that the follow on hits the article you ref'd are not incapacitating hits in the first place. Shots tend to get worse, not better during an engagement. At least up to the point when the shooter "re-focuses" and applies a dose of fundamentals in enough proportion to bring it back together. Adrenaline is a funny thing.

Again, good discussion.