Is my XD Cali legal? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is my XD Cali legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

[QUOTE=WDB;131167]Back the bus up a bit Master.
Good info but it doesn't change CA law
If CA deems a firearm not for sale/ownership in CA
You don't get a free pass if you move to the state and already own a banned firearm. Try and register a banned firearm in CA after moving there and see what happens. CA gives you 60 days to register your firearms but if you own one that is banned they will not register it and will inform you it is illegal to own in the state. Besides mag capacity CA has other requirements from firearm manufactures that includes a drop test. I don't recall the paramiters but if a pistol can be dropped and fire from a certian evelation it is banned in CA. I don't know if the pistol in question is on the list but with some effort it would be easy to figure out. A firearm that is marked on the box "not for sale in CA" has little to do with mag capacity as it is easy to fit a lower capacity mag to the firearm. It often has more to do with other restrictions like the drop test I pointed out or some other odd exclusion.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RESPONSE>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Basic short version, in laymans words: For a handgun to be legal for sale in California, it must pass all the drop tests and then pass the live fire tests with a min. of malfunctions (depending on type of malfunctions). These tests are performed on three examples of the same gun. If they pass the tests, then they are certified for sale in California. I they do not pass, or a particular handgun is not submitted for testing, then they cannot be manufactured, imported for sale or sold in the state of California.

If you live out of state and have a handgun that is not certified for sale in California and you move here, you can bring it with you and register it within 60 days. Just because it is not certified for sale in California does not mean it is banned. This law does NOT include the so called ASSAULT WEAPONS that are banned in California. You cannot bring them with you.

I hope this clears it up even more. If you have any other questions, consult the website and/or the California Penal Code.........................

Jim............................................... ...........

Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #12

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=masterPsmith;131250]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Back the bus up a bit Master.
You don't get a free pass if you move to the state and already own a banned firearm. Try and register a banned firearm in CA after moving there and see what happens. CA gives you 60 days to register your firearms but if you own one that is banned they will not register it and will inform you it is illegal to own in the state. Besides mag capacity CA has other requirements from firearm manufactures that includes a drop test. I don't recall the paramiters but if a pistol can be dropped and fire from a certian evelation it is banned in CA. I don't know if the pistol in question is on the list but with some effort it would be easy to figure out. A firearm that is marked on the box "not for sale in CA" has little to do with mag capacity as it is easy to fit a lower capacity mag to the firearm. It often has more to do with other restrictions like the drop test I pointed out or some other odd exclusion.
Basic short version, in laymans words: For a handgun to be legal for sale in California, it must pass all the drop tests and then pass the live fire tests with a min. of malfunctions (depending on type of malfunctions). These tests are performed on three examples of the same gun. If they pass the tests, then they are certified for sale in California. I they do not pass, or a particular handgun is not submitted for testing, then they cannot be manufactured, imported for sale or sold in the state of California.

If you live out of state and have a handgun that is not certified for sale in California and you move here, you can bring it with you and register it within 60 days. Just because it is not certified for sale in California does not mean it is banned. This law does NOT include the so called ASSAULT WEAPONS that are banned in California. You cannot bring them with you.

I hope this clears it up even more. If you have any other questions, consult the website and/or the California Penal Code.........................

its nonsense like this which has made me determined to move out of california

Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=masterPsmith;131250]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Back the bus up a bit Master.

Good info,
As I understand it if the firearm isn't on the approved list in CA it can not be registered in the state. I could be wrong and haven't given it much attention as I don't live there. Yet what sense would there be if they have a list of firearms illegal in the state but if you move there from another state you can register it as a legal firearm? I don't know for certian but I expect that any hicap mag is also illegal in CA even if you moved from another state so it follows reason that so would be the pistols on the not for sale list in CA would be treated the same.

Imagine getting pulled over by the LAPD and having a hicap mag, try telling them...naw I moved here from Moosejaw, it's all good I expect an actual firearm on the list would be treated even more of an issue.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 AM   #14

I thought I cleared that up..

Here goes again. Just because a handgun is not certified for sale in California, DOES NOT DEEM IT BANNED OR ILLEGAL. It just cannot me manufactured for sale in California, cannot be imported for sale or offered for sale in California.

You "CAN" when moving to California, bring a handgun or handguns, that you purchased in another state, then as required by law, within 60 days, register them in California. This "includes" handguns that are "not certified for sale in California". I don't think I can make it any more clear than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magazines with a capacity of more than ten (10) rounds cannot be brought into the State of California, Period.... So if you do so, you are on your own. If you already live in California and have pre-ban high cap magazines, they are grandfathered. But you cannot lend them or sell them to anyone else.........................................

ASSAULT WEAPONS that are on the banned list in California, cannot be brought into the State, period...........

Jim............................................... ...

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-22-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
I have a 4" XD9 bought in Colorado. I live near Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Ca and want to know if my XD is legal to bring here? Do I just need the 10rd mags or is it more than that?
As far as the original question, NO, your Springfield XD9 4" is NOT ILLEGAL in California. By the way, what is the full model number of your pistol ??? There are several different XD9 4" models made. Most of which are certified for sale in California. Check the list.

Jim..............

Old 07-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #16

Thanks for the info MasterP, I talked to both Oceanside and Camp Pen MPs and its all gonna be good to go. Ive had many people back in CO tell me not to bring a firearm to Cali because of the registry, any concrete advice behind this?

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW