Is my XD Cali legal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is my XD Cali legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is my XD Cali legal?

I have a 4" XD9 bought in Colorado. I live near Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Ca and want to know if my XD is legal to bring here? Do I just need the 10rd mags or is it more than that?

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #2

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you purchased your XD while living in another state and then moved here, you have no problems. Although it may already be registered to you, you must, per California State Law, register it in California after you move here. This applies to all handguns brought with you when you move here. If not done and you are caught with a handgun that you did not register when you moved here, it can and will get you JAIL time. You can do this at any California gun shop and in some cases, depending on where you live, your local Cop Shop. Sorry, I hope this helps.
Also (almost forgot), if your hi-cap mags are pre-ban, they may be grandfathered in your state, but you cannot import hi-cap mags (legally) into Cali.....
Jim.........
Retired LEO and formally Alvord Custom Guns..

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-19-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yes. XDms are illegal for civilian purchase, sort of.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
If you purchased your XD while living in another state and then moved here, you have no problems. Although it may already be registered to you, you must, per California State Law, register it in California after you move here. This applies to all handguns brought with you when you move here. If not done and you are caught with a handgun that you did not register when you moved here, it can and will get you JAIL time. You can do this at any California gun shop and in some cases, depending on where you live, your local Cop Shop. Sorry, I hope this helps.
Also (almost forgot), if your hi-cap mags are pre-ban, they are grandfathered, you just cannot purchase hi-cap mags now and have them imported into Cali.....
Jim.........
Retired LEO and formally Alvord Custom Guns..
BS. I bought a pistol in Utah. It was stolen and recovered. When I applied to get it back, the DOJ said that it needed to be registered. I served no time for it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
BS. I bought a pistol in Utah. It was stolen and recovered. When I applied to get it back, the DOJ said that it needed to be registered. I served no time for it.
No it is not BS.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

Jim...................

Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The XD 45 I got says on the box,not for sell in Cali.It even has the Ambidextrous thumb safety.

Layton

Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
The XD 45 I got says on the box,not for sell in Cali.It even has the Ambidextrous thumb safety.

Layton
It may not be for sale in California, but if you lived out of state and bought it where you were living, it is NOT illegal for you to bring it here when you move here. All I was saying is that when you move here and bring your handguns with you, you have 60 days in which to register them in California. That is why I put that link in my last post. I don,t appreciate someone telling me "BS" when they, in fact, are ignorant of the law. I have heard Judges many times in court, say in their opening instructions that "ignorance of the
law is no excuse".. Matt g, you were lucky that you were not out shooting somewhere and some rookie cop with a bug up his a** did not pay you a visit.

On the same site you can also check the handgun roster list to see if a handgun you might want is available in California.

I hope that the link to the D.O.J. website that I put in my last post will be of some help to newcomers in California. I would hate to see one of my shooting brethren possibly go to jail for possessing an unregistered handgun in this State. I don't see how I can be more clear than that !!

Jim............

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-19-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the free info masterpsmith!!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Good info to know MPS and thank you for posting the state gun regs site verification..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Back the bus up a bit Master.
Good info but it doesn't change CA law
If CA deems a firearm not for sale/ownership in CA
You don't get a free pass if you move to the state and already own a banned firearm. Try and register a banned firearm in CA after moving there and see what happens. CA gives you 60 days to register your firearms but if you own one that is banned they will not register it and will inform you it is illegal to own in the state. Besides mag capacity CA has other requirements from firearm manufactures that includes a drop test. I don't recall the paramiters but if a pistol can be dropped and fire from a certian evelation it is banned in CA. I don't know if the pistol in question is on the list but with some effort it would be easy to figure out. A firearm that is marked on the box "not for sale in CA" has little to do with mag capacity as it is easy to fit a lower capacity mag to the firearm. It often has more to do with other restrictions like the drop test I pointed out or some other odd exclusion.

So Matt's post was reasonable

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.