Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My Second Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
not saying she is big but thats not petite. that is about the size of my wife. the average height of a women is around 5'5 or 5'6. shorter than that would be petite. i got a asian buddy that your girl could push around.

glad you like you p22(way better than the u22) i always like them but still got a buck mark today.

have you ever looked at a double stack 1911 might be better on your hand. they are wider. i have small hands and my 1911 fits perfect so i feel your pain from the other side of the tracks. plus my 1911 made me a better shooter on all weapons i have fired since.

and just cuz i have to.... the 1911 is the best handgun and the only pistol better than mine is another 1911..

Wow, I'll NEVER live down the fact that I don't like 1911's will I? I'll go ahead and change my profile name to "1911H8R" . I've held double-stack 1911's and TRULY dislike those. They ruin the only two things 1911's have going for them....tradition and their tiny thickness. Maybe after I shoot one I'll change my mind....but I dislike the idea of SA pistols for anything more than a range gun. I've been shot at, I've looked down the barrel of a gun, I cannot imagine remembering to flick off a safety in a time like that.

I do have to say, I've recently started drooling over that S&W Bodyguard. If only it came in a 9mm Luger variant I'd scrape some pennies together and try to get one before the end of the week. I've also fallen in love with the Boberg XR9-s and may very well get that. With all the bullets I've put through my Px4 and the difference in 380 vs 9mm ammo I could've paid the difference between an LCP and a Boberg. 380 ammo is WAY expensive and I shoot a TON.

About the definition of petite, it is now commonly used to mean short...but petite means body shape. Petite is small bone structure, little feet, little hands, lightweight and overall small....regardless of height. So, she is petite....she's not short.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

lmfao...... no you wont
just had to break you balls a bit.

not a fan of the double stack either. and very true on the thinkness

i do alot of safety flicking while i am shooting. its not any slower the muscle memory is there.

i kinda feel the same way about 9mm as range guns. i mean if i gotta put my life (and my family's) on something its gonna be the .45acp. SAO or not. i on the other hand do see how carrying a 1911 everyday could be a commitment. they do have DA 1911s but i dont like those so much. and mostly in compact frames.

did you say you have not shot a 1911?
everyone has there opinion.

Last edited by pranc2; 03-25-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: incomplete

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #33

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I just don't see where a Buckmark does not look like a real gun. And what about the Ruger MK1-2-3? Are those fake too?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I've never shot a 1911 and would simply NOT mind doing so. Maybe that's part of the allure of the guns. I have squeezed the trigger on a few, and must admit they have all been quite crisp...but a $1k SAO had darn well better be!!

About the muscle memory: Good, that's how it should be. Defense is about action and not reaction. Reaction gets you killed, and I know it first hand.

One thing about carrying a 45ACP. My Px4SC in 9 holds 13+1. A 1911 holds 7+1. I'd rather have 14 than 8. Also, the Px4C in 9 holds 15+1 and is still small enough to carry. That gives you double the chance of hitting what you intended to. I know the trick is "just use it well" but you can't imagine the adrenaline going through you until you're there. I've been there, and can't imagine having been able to hit a barn at 5 yds.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I just don't see where a Buckmark does not look like a real gun. And what about the Ruger MK1-2-3? Are those fake too?
That style of gun, to me, doesn't look like a gun. It looks like a plinking-only 22LR. It doesn't have a slide, it has a "bolt." The tops are simply the barrels, there is no guide rod or slide spring, the disassembly methods don't translate well to real guns, and the locations and operation of things like safety, slide release, and mag release are very different to that of a real gun.

Most importantly, and this is where you need to pay attention closely, I DON'T THINK THEY LOOK LIKE REAL GUNS. If you do, great....I'm glad. However, I don't...and ultimately my opinion is what I listen to when I'm spending my money. If you want to buy a Buckmark for me, I'll let you and I will sincerely thank you, and I'm sure I would greatly enjoy it. However, my few pennies get spent on things that I completely love...and I simply don't love them.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Recently a woman in florida extremely new to guns defended herself by smoking a goblin intent on raping her in her own home. She was extremely new to firearms only been shooting a very short time used a 38 snubnose revolver. Very difficult gun to employ under stress.

Revolvers are used more than any otherfirearm for self defense and ccw folks do.quite well with them. Firepower is almost almost never the determining factor in a sd situation.

That's 2 rounds less than a 1911 and 10 less than a typical double stack.

Manual safety use is all about training. I have to make a concious effort not to flick the safety off when I pick up my 1911. Its just automatic to me to flick the safety when I point it.

Most folks new to shooting prefer the 1911 to glocks or other models if given a chance to try them side by side. Anyway its all personal preff.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This might be me showing my ignorance, but HOW is a 38 snubnose a "very difficult gun to employ under stress"?

Also, not all altercations occur at a range short enough for a 38 snubnose to be effective in the hands of all but the greatest marksman.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #38

victorzamora, Check this one out;

1911-22 A1, , Browning Firearms Product

Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One thing about carrying a 45ACP. My Px4SC in 9 holds 13+1. A 1911 holds 7+1. I'd rather have 14 than 8. Also, the Px4C in 9 holds 15+1 and is still small enough to carry. That gives you double the chance of hitting what you intended to. I know the trick is "just use it well" but you can't imagine the adrenaline going through you until you're there. I've been there, and can't imagine having been able to hit a barn at 5 yds.[/QUOTE]

mine is 8+1 (wilson mags) also a 4 inch and no heavier than a glock .45acp. never jams and only need one bullet on each target and the bullet weights twice as much as standard 9mm. no hollow points needed, goes through sheet metal (i.e. car door) at close distance. slower moving round along with weight has one of the greatest transfer of energy in any small arms weapons. even people on drugs you take a .45acp to the chest you are going down fast.

and in a household encounter how many bullets you think you need? more than 5 and there is a little wild shooting going on unless there was more than 3 intruders and that would be a whole other problem.