My Second Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My Second Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My Second Gun

Hey guys, I'm looking for a semi-auto 22LR pistol that doesn't look like a Buckmark (I just dislike the style). I want a gun that looks like a real gun...y'know? I have a Beretta Px4 Storm SubCompact in 9mm, and would like to keep ammo cheap. Right now, I'm looking at two options.

1) Buy a centerfire caliber that there are conversions for. I was thinking either a 92FS/PT92, a 9mm 1911, or a 9mm Glock. Depending on what the recommendations are, I might get a convertible centerfire for my girlfriend and the conversion kit later.

2) Buy a ground-up 22LR handgun that's pretty.

3) Suck it up, get the Beretta U22 Neos and have the carbine kit option for later.

I'm looking to stay around $400 for a centerfire, plus the conversion (later). $300 for a ground-up 22LR pistol. The Neos is $275, but is Buckmark-style.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, this is a longish-term thing, so I'm not looking for used gun deals (although an incredible deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world). I will hopefully make the purchase by early May, though.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out ISSC of Austria. They make a pretty cool little .22 that looks very much like a Glock, and I hear is well built.

Saw this on Bud's Gun Shop: ISSC M111001 M22D 22LR 4" 1x10rd mag DUOISS

Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

How about one of these? Cane has one and seems pretty happy with it.

American Tactical Imports AMT GSG M1911 22LR 5

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
How about one of these? Cane has one and seems pretty happy with it.

American Tactical Imports AMT GSG M1911 22LR 5
I've been wanting one of those GSG M1911s for a while now....

Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I know...I've been kind of drooling over that gun. However, I don't know if I'm really the biggest fan of 1911's. I mean, part of me likes them and part of me really dislikes them. 1911 fans, please calm down. I'm 6'5" and find it to be slightly too thin for me. I haven't shot one, but I've held 5 or 6 and haven't been thrilled.

The GSG has definitely moved high on my list of what to buy, and for the price you can't beat it. It's only 50% more than the upgrade for a 1911, but it's about comparative advantage. I think I can get a 9mm 1911 for $400 and the upgrade for $200. That's $600 for a gun and a half. OR, I could get a 9mm handgun and the GSG 1911 for $400 and $300, so $700 for both guns. Yeah, it's $100 more...but it's two full guns.

By the way, I'm stuck on 9mm because it's cheap to shoot and it won't cause my girlfriend to start flinching when she starts shooting "bigger" rounds more often. I mean, she can handle a 9mm just fine now, but I want both of us to gain proficiency with a pistol. I guess I'll be looking at a second 9mm as well as a 22LR. Now I have to decide between a buckmark style gun and a "centerfire" style gun (yeah, I know a Luger looks more like a buckmark, but you know what I mean). I guess a lot of that is up to her, though.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, since I can't talk you into a 22/45 like I have: Sig Mosquito all the way! Not pricey, has a real handgun look and feel and is a quality piece. You can find them in varius finishes and threaded barrels if you want. I read the reiveiw of the ISSC in Handguns Mag and they liked it. But for $400-$500, it really doesn't offer much. ISSC supposedly was responding to the Glock fans that wanted "Glock .22LR" practice pistols. The only problem with that is Glock looked at the market and seen that the aftermarket conversion kits made for $200 already have that market flooded. No point in reinventing the wheel and charging 2X the price, IMHO.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #8

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I was just like you and wanted a gun that looks like a centerfire,but after reading how some of them are poorly made and how some of the guns like my new Ruger 22/45 are much better quality,I got an ugly 22/45 and after shooting it I am hooked on it,in the end you will appreciate reliability more than looks.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

IMHO (and I've owned all types) the best "real gun" .22s are the Sig Classic series. I had a P220 in .22 that was a really great shooter and was a real P220. Sig would sell you the centerfire top end if you desired to convert the .22 to it's bigger brother. All of the "real gun" style .22s are going to be considerably more expensive than the "ray gun" style of .22 (Ruger, buckmark, NEOS, etc.)

Exactly where are you finding 9mm 1911s for $400???

Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My buddy bought a Walther P22. It was a good fit for my hand, and I like my Colt Government for fit. It never had a fail to feed, jam or ejection issue in the 250 rounds we fired through it. Small and compact, it looks nothing like the Buckmark.

People get the government they deserve.