my rossi ranch hand review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > my rossi ranch hand review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3148 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2198

Default my rossi ranch hand review

just wanted to drop a few thoughts on the rossi ranch hand (technically a hand gun).

first, i just think the lever action mare's leg is such a cool gun. i have a love for lever actions, so i am biased for sure. certainly not the most useful gun around, but imo more than a novelty. its size and power would make it a great little backpack or truck gun.

i'll remind all posters that this is NOT a professional review, just some thoughts from an owner of the firearm. this review is all based on my opinions and experiences.

here's my ranch hand (next to my marlin).

my-levers.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

my ranch hand is a .357/.38. i'm really glad i chose this caliber. my thoughts in a few categories.

craftsmanship: well, although i love the style of this gun, but the craftsmanship, for the price, is just ok. the stock is cheapish, and marks and scuffs fairly easily. the action is fairly rough. the safety, imo, is one of the worst safeties i have seen on any gun, very cheap and flimsy. if i compare the craftsmanship to my marlin, it doesn't hold a candle imo. overall, like i said, the craftsmanship is just "OK," not terrible...but could be much better.

shooting experience: the ranch hand ranks very high here imo. this is just such a handy and fun gun to shoot. with 38's in it, it has almost zero recoil. and if you want some recoil, the .357 has enough to wake you up. shoot from the hip, shoot for accuracy...its all good.

reliability: so far, so good. it hangs up occasionally, but like most levers, it just goes "bang" all day. no issue here so far. i have about 200-300 rounds through so far, 70% being fmj 38's. the only real ammo trouble i had was with some semi-jacketed hollow points. i think all ammo through this gun needs to be fully jacketed. i would not use round lead bullets.

accuracy (target pic below): when i bought it, a friend told me "you won't be hitting anything with that." but accuracy might be where i have been the most surprised by this gun. the target pic below was shot at about 10 yards, off a rest. its as accurate as (or more) than any other pistol i have had. no problems with accuracy from my point of view. to get good accuracy, however, you must use a cheek weld on the stock and shoot it like a rifle (with no shoulder support).

one very irritating problem: my ranch hand shot about 6"+ high with factory sights at a range of 7-10 yards. i had to completely replace the front and rear sights to get mine on target.

thanks to steve's gunz for the new sights, they were a pretty easy to to replace and required no fitting. if you have this problem with your ranch hand, buy a new sight from steve's gunz.

ranch-hand-new-sights.jpg  

Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #3

final thoughts: if you are interested in a mare's leg.....go for it. you won't find better at this point for the price. once a few irritating kinks were worked out, it is shaping up to be a great little gun. it would be nice if rossi would "up" the quality a bit, but like i said, you won't find better for the price. i also wish it was offered in stainless....that would be sweet.

if you were really interested in a mare's leg, i doubt you will be disappointed.

i would welcome feedback from anyone who owns one or questions from those interested in them. hope the review helps someone making a choice on this gun.
rossi-ranch-hand-2.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well, mines a Henry but I give the Mares Leg a 10 on the kool scale

BTW- Big thumbs up on Steve! He's known to us in SASS as Nate the Rossi guy

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 06-25-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

is yours a .22 i assume?

imo, just by handling the henry a bit, i think the fit and finish of the henry is better than the rossi. but, if i recall.....the other calibers henry offers are pretty expensive! what i have seen is between 700-800.

and yeah....on "kool" factor....the mare's leg ranks VERY high imo.

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-25-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

I have had the 45 for about a year. I take it on my summer trips to Montana, and then I usually head into BC Canada to visit family. It's non-restricted in Canada, so no hassle at the border as with restricted handguns. One time $25 fee.

I don't hunt anymore but do a lot of day hikes in Montana and up on into BC. I've run into a few bear over the years with my trusty 30/30. Carry bear spray for the last 5 yrs, but no serious charges...so haven't had to use it. A couple of bluffs, but those were discouraged with a shot right in front of them. Kicks up enough dirt to send them on their way.

I pack it in a small open scabbard in my backpack and attach 5' nylon cord to the ring and a buckle on my the chest of my vest. Pulls out real quick if necessary. I also just bought a small aluminum travel case which is a converted "gambling chips" carry case. $28. with shipping on ebay, and it locks for airline travel.

I don't use the +P loads as they kick too much. My first two loads are Glaser Blues followed by 255 swc hard and soft alternating. If confronted by a persistant griz with his ears back in full charge the only stopping shot you are going to get is the head. Glasers probably won't kill him, but I'm betting a frontal face shot will take any fight out of him. In my hunting days, I learned unless the shot is perfect a large hardcast doesn't have the stopping power on a pass through shot unless you hit CNS (elk and hog). People think I'm nuts with a Glaser but I've seen what it will do to a 300lb hog's head.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
is yours a .22 i assume?

imo, just by handling the henry a bit, i think the fit and finish of the henry is better than the rossi. but, if i recall.....the other calibers henry offers are pretty expensive! what i have seen is between 700-800.

and yeah....on "kool" factor....the mare's leg ranks VERY high imo.
You are correct on all counts

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET