You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Gunstore Commandos! And their Tactical Teddy buddies! All with super vague "Histories of Violence" just waiting for the call to spring back into action, but what size spring it would take to launch them is beyond my imagination.
But to be honest the OPs post left me cold. He said he was 3 months in with only a poorly run CCW class under his belt. I couldn't help but wonder if he is capable of using his highly critical gaze in the mirror? Does he talk and handle firearms in a manner that calls out he may be in need of advice? Are these folks trying to head him in the right direction and he just doesn't like us geezers? It may just be here in the rural south but I run into no end of men who don't want to admit they don't know Jack about handguns right up until the jammed piece is in their bleeding hand.
People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #82
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

$500k just for inventory? For what I had in mind, which is basically a tiny little gun store, that seems pretty excessive.
Even a small shop would need 300k to get started. 100k of inventory can get spent very quick. Even the Pawn shops who also sell new go through a fair amt. of stock.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3736 Times on 2289 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Even a small shop would need 300k to get started. 100k of inventory can get spent very quick. Even the Pawn shops who also sell new go through a fair amt. of stock.
It seems like so much money. But hopefully by then my credit will be awesome and I'll be able to get a good line of credit and whatnot.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #84

Quote:

It seems like so much money. But hopefully by then my credit will be awesome and I'll be able to get a good line of credit and whatnot.
V A Business Loan. Thats how My Uncle started his in 1956.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
V A Business Loan. Thats how My Uncle started his in 1956.
I honestly had no idea the VA does a business loan. I know about their home loan. I'll do some research, but in the meantime, do you know if I can have one of each active at the same time? Thanks for the heads up, btw.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #86

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
$500k just for inventory? For what I had in mind, which is basically a tiny little gun store, that seems pretty excessive.
You need a fair amount of cash on hand. When guns that sell fast are available you need to buy plenty of them. You also have used guns from police departments. They sell their surplus in a lot. They just want to do one deal for all the guns. I am sure you have seen the police trade ins that buds sells. They buy thousands of guns in one deal. Buds sells 600 guns a day in times of normal demand. I am not saying you need to high roll right away but you need to be able to grab smaller lots of used guns. You will make more on used guns than most new guns.

I had a kitchen table FFL in the 80's. I would literally buy a pickup truck load of used guns at one time. If the distributors inventory was low I would take a 16' trailer so I could get enough guns to last a few months. All my business came by word of mouth. That should give you an idea of how many guns you will need to buy to have enough guns to support a advertising campaign and the walk in business you do in a decent location.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #87

Quote:

I honestly had no idea the VA does a business loan. I know about their home loan. I'll do some research, but in the meantime, do you know if I can have one of each active at the same time? Thanks for the heads up, btw.
That I'm not sure of, but I would take classes between now and then. I didn't take the VA home loan for this house( best I could get was 4.25% on a 25 year fixed. FHA got us 3.45% fixed for 30 yrs. If it's that far down the road, you should be able to show a payment history

Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
You need a fair amount of cash on hand. When guns that sell fast are available you need to buy plenty of them. You also have used guns from police departments. They sell their surplus in a lot. They just want to do one deal for all the guns. I am sure you have seen the police trade ins that buds sells. They buy thousands of guns in one deal. Buds sells 600 guns a day in times of normal demand. I am not saying you need to high roll right away but you need to be able to grab smaller lots of used guns. You will make more on used guns than most new guns. I had a kitchen table FFL in the 80's. I would literally buy a pickup truck load of used guns at one time. If the distributors inventory was low I would take a 16' trailer so I could get enough guns to last a few months. All my business came by word of mouth. That should give you an idea of how many guns you will need to buy to have enough guns to support a advertising campaign and the walk in business you do in a decent location.
Thanks for the thoughts. I've honestly considered doing a similar type of FFL business. I was thinking of buying a small handful of guns at a time (unless I could find lots for not too much money) and then just selling them online for basically what I bought them for, without firing of course. The reason for this idea is simply as a way to start in on the game and to keep working on building my credit.

Quote:
That I'm not sure of, but I would take classes between now and then. I didn't take the VA home loan for this house( best I could get was 4.25% on a 25 year fixed. FHA got us 3.45% fixed for 30 yrs. If it's that far down the road, you should be able to show a payment history
Yeah, I plan on taking some classes and doing a ton of research. I don't want to start the brick and mortar business until I'm out of the military, which lately I've been considering retiring, which would be about 15 years down the road.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #89

My wife and I are thinking the same thing, if we got investors, and found enough good people to work with us. It's a gigantic undertaking.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #90

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Most of the gun shop employees are helpful . It is unrealistic to expect them to provide sterling advice, though . If you want to know something, read books, watch videos online, buy DVDs and surf the Web...or just ask me .

I recently witnessed an old man asking about a small gun he could carry and take to the range . The gun dealer came on with a friendly cozy monologue on how a small gun will be no fun to shoot on a range and a large one might be a better choice but won't be as concealable [ blah blah blah ] and that the customer would be wise to think it over because , " I wouldn't want to sell you something you wouldn't be happy with " .

I bit my tongue but I know that a Glock 26 is both small and shootable . I'm sure there are other such guns too. That dealer chased away a customer . I would have tried to make that man stay until he bought a Glock 26, Galco holster, a box of ammo, targets, earplugs and a book on shooting . This happened at a gun show so the dealer won't get a second visit from the old gentleman . Show's over. Dealer moved on . Sale lost. One more customer misled ...